Chapter 2

(Chapter 2)

Something broke the silence; Ava took her bow in her hand and withdrew an arrow from her belt. A brown stag with long sharp antlers was racing towards her. She was ready, she shot at the charging animal, she hit but it kept running. She whistled for her black stallion, and raced after the beast. Tracks showed that it had run in to a part of the forest she had never encountered before. She took caution as she entered. It appeared to look like what the forest looked like at night. But, the trees were all rotting and everything was black. She looked side to side every few seconds. Everywhere she looked there were carcases and old animal bones. Ava past a river which happened to look like a swamp, her bow and arrow were still in her hands when she had been in what she thought was hell. The stallion stopped. Ears forward. It was silent, but she could hear bones cracking in the distance. In a clearing, a few meters away, there were wolves. They had taken her kill. Now it all made sense. This is why everything was dying, because there is no such thing as a pure wolf. All of a sudden, one looked up and sniffed the air anxiously. And then it looked in her direction. When she saw it looking, she thought it was grinning at her. She had to get out of here, she had to escape. Ava carefully dismounted her horse, making sure she was as silent as can be. She had to run and leave the stallion. If she took it, then the wolves would hear her and chase her. She would not take that chance. Tiptoeing away, she was looking in every direction, looking for a sign of the enchanted forest. When she knew, she admitted to herself that she was lost; she looked around at where she was, when, alas! She saw a cave. She ran as fast as she could to get to it before the sun went down.