Thanks, DDR.  I might take you up on that.

Message Sent

Gavin Reed

Today 09:46

Wat?

To: Gavin Reed

*Detective.  Phone is being stupid.

Message Sent

Gavin Reed

Today 09:47

Ur weird.

To: Gavin Reed

I've been told.

Message Sent

You smirked, locking your phone and stowing it in your pocket.

"Is something funny?"  Connor was beaming with curiosity.

"Ah, just the guys being...guys."

"Which 'guys' are you referring to?"

"Chris and Gavin, up to their usual shenanigans."

His lips pursed, "Are you and Detective Reed...friends?"

You weren't surprised he asked.  It was a question you often asked yourself.

"It's a love-hate kind of friendship.  He's a bully that hazes new people – even me, when I started.  Like you, now...and I never agreed with that kind of fuckery, but yeah, I guess you could say we're friends."

"You both love and hate him?" His brow formed a tight knot, "...Interesting."

"No-no-no, not like that.  I meant...He can piss me off to the point where I want to kill him and then be a total bro by the end of the day."

"Oh." He smiled, "I think I understand."

"...For the record, I'll still deck him in the mouth if he hits you again."

He huffed, "I'd like to see him try."

You rested your head against the seat, holding back a smile.  He was no longer just the "android sent by CyberLife." He was Connor, Lieutenant Anderson's partner.  The guy who kicked Gavin's ass in pool at Jimmy's Bar.  The man Chris hung out with at the station in his downtime.

Connor, the person who made you feel things that you hadn't felt in a very long time.

The brakes grinded underneath you, halting the cab to a stop – your daydreaming along with it.

"And we're here..." You sighed.

The momentary lapse in focus had been refreshing, but now that you'd arrived, you remembered what you were doing here in the first place:

Rendezvousing with Hank before the three of you went to visit Elijah Kamski...

You gripped the door's handle and pushed it open.  The warm air of the taxi rushed outside, a frigid gust stinging your eyes.  Snow danced in twirling puffs, filling in the trenches between drifts.

Your boots crunched as they sank in the street, and Connor got out on the other side.  You flipped the cover on your gloves, the fingerless tips disappearing behind a knitted pattern.  You pinned your travel mug to your side with your elbow and blew into your hands, rubbing them together.

The two of you made your way to Hank's front door.

"Detroit Police!  You're under arrest!"  You pounded it with your fist, almost hitting Hank as he opened it with a glare.