Chapter 18: A Reluctant Alliance

Aiden clasped his hands behind his back and paced back and forth before the rest of the Heirs. "I suppose you're all wondering why I've called you here tonight," he said.

Sam elbowed him in the ribs. "You didn't. Jia did."

"That kind of hurt," Aiden complained, rubbing his side.

"Why are we here, Your Worshipfulness?" Liang asked her scathingly. He, like Sam and Aiden, had been surprised, when he'd found the secret message beneath his pillow that Jia had slipped there several hours ago. The message, written on a single scrap of parchment, had simply told each Heir to meet up in the palace gardens at midnight. Surprisingly, none of the guards had stopped them, or even tried to follow them.

Jia wondered if she was making a mistake. She wanted to believe that this was the right thing to do, but the consequences of possible failure were hanging over her like the blade of a guillotine.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Calm down, you're better than this. You know this is a good idea, even if the others do not agree.

"Um, Jia? Are you okay?" Aiden asked. Sam too was staring at her, mildly concerned.

Liang on the other hand, was lying on a bench, gazing at the stars and probably not listening to a word that was being said. He absentmindedly twirled his ji in his hand. Ever since he had begun training with the ji and received a specially crafted one from the armory, he had taken to carrying the spear-like weapon everywhere he went. Like everything else Liang did, Jia found it inexplicably annoying.

"I am fine," Jia answered brusquely. "However, I have news that is both troublesome and exhilarating."

"Did you kick a small child today?" Liang said, rolling onto his side to look at her. Seeing Sam's stare, he gave a single shoulder shrug. "What? I do not know what exhilarates a sadist."

"Can we just be quiet and listen?" Sam asked him testily. "I'd really like to get back to bed. Aiden and I have history lessons early tomorrow morning."

"We get up when the sun comes up," Aiden said gloomily. "And I'm still jet-lagged."

"Please, everyone," Jia interjected loudly. "I have found the answer for acquiring the Mandate of Heaven." Jia immediately realized she should have led with this, because Sam and Aiden both leaned in a little closer, more alert, and even Liang sat up straight.

"You have my attention," Liang said.

"Ours too," Sam said. "So what about it?"

Jia explained to them her plan about the Dragon Kings, minus a few specific details, like her little side deal with her father.

"Do we get to ride the dragons?" Aiden asked, once she was finished.

"No," Sam said. "Just no."

Aiden harrumphed and folded his arms. "Well, now I'm really upset.

"That's what you're thinking about right now?" Sam marveled. "She just told us about more gods and dragons, and actually going to parley with them, and you're thinking about riding dragons?"

Aiden flicked a leaf off of his shirt. "I watch a lot of movies. Besides, after all we've seen, is going to meet the dragons really that big of a deal?"

Um...Yes?"

"You're right. I should be flipping out right now. But I'm tired of flipping out. I've just decided to take things in stride from now on. So dragons are real. What's next? Aliens? Bring it on, Aiden's ready for you!"

"Keep your voices down," Jia scolded them in a voice that was much louder than theirs. "So what do you all think?"

Liang twisted into a sitting position and pointed his finger at her. "I think you are crazy. I know enough history to know that the dragons aren't exactly fond of humans."