Chapter 15: A Promise of Utopia

More than anything, Liang wanted to go home to Han and Yan, but he couldn't, because he was now stuck in the palace with his least favorite people in the world. Liang wasn't sure he could stand any more of Aiden's teasing behind his back, as if Liang couldn't hear, or Jia's quiet smirks, which she thought she hid so well. Liang really hated her. She thought she was so much better than him, and to make matters worse, she had proven it today.

He hadn't seen any of those blows coming. He'd never seen anyone fight quite like her, but of course, Sam and Aiden didn't know that. They probably just thought he was all talk and no show. Aiden, especially. He couldn't stand the thought of the fat boy thinking he could take Liang on.

Liang knew he talked big game, but that was because he normally was able to bring big game to the table. He wasn't exactly the city's favorite son, and that placed a target on his back. He'd had to learn how to fight very early on. The city had mandatory combat classes for all students, but Liang had always gone above and beyond in them, striving to excel, so that no one could jump him in an alleyway. He had been in the top of his class.

Of course, Jia hadn't been in that class. She had really handed it to him.

Liang sighed and shoved his hands into his pockets. The palace gardens were as close as he could get to Han and Yan without actually leaving the grounds. He would have tried sneaking out by now if it weren't for the armed patrols, who were guarding every possible entrance and exit to the palace, which was easy, since the stairway was the only way down to the city.

Liang unearthed a stone from the dirt with his toe and kicked it. For the past couple of hours, he'd been daydreaming of retreating home with his tail between his legs. Regroup and recover.

A servant girl, one of the garden's attendants, began fussing with the thistles of a nearby bush. One of the guards gave her a wary look before continuing on his patrol. The gardens were always being attended by at least several workers, but Liang wished she'd go away. He wanted to be alone right now.

"Psst! Liang!" came a fervent whisper.

Liang whipped his head around to stare at the girl. Slowly, his eyesight adjusted in the dim light, and he did a double take once he saw who it was. "Yan?" He squinted and dipped his head lower to make sure it was her.

"Keep your voice down," she told him, continuing her pretend-grooming of the bush.

"What are you doing here?" Liang demanded. "Do you know how much trouble you will be in if one of the guards finds you?"

"So you are the only one allowed to walk between the lines? I came here to see you. It was easy getting in. The guards know I do menial labor around the city, so as long as they think I am working, there will not be a problem."

"You really should not be here," Liang said, turning his head to make sure the guards weren't watching.

"Stop looking around," Yan scolded him. Some things never changed. "The guards will get suspicious. As far as they are concerned, you are just having a conversation with one of the gardeners. There is nothing wrong with that."

"Okay, fine. You win," he relented. "I am glad to see you though. I hate being stuck here."

Yan sighed. "I understand their reasoning, but I still do not like it. I do not see why you cannot still live with us, when the guards could just as easily watch our house. When do you think you will come home?"

"Whenever one of us gets the Mandate, I suppose," Liang said heavily. "Who knows when that will be. I guess I am super important now," he said bitterly. "Yesterday no one except you and Han gave a damn about me, and look at me now. I get amazing powers, and everyone magically cares."