//42\\

"will you guys be okay here alone for a few hours?" jennifer asked. the kids nodded enthusiastically. "i'll be back around six or seven and no later. just watch tv if you want. there's 30 bucks on the counter. you can order something. don't use the stove, don't light any candles and don't let anyone inside. i'm trusting you," she said, collecting her keys.

everyone nodded. "i love you guys," she called.

"what happened to your dad, jack?" wyatt asked. jack shrugged. "i guess he just left. he could've died. i don't really know." wyatt nodded. "where are your parents finn?" jaeden asked. a small smile forced its way onto finn's face. "y'know, i don't really know," he replied. "they just left you?" y/n asked, toying with a loose thread in the blanket she was wrapped in. he nodded.

"what about you, y/n?" wyatt asked. "car accident," was all she said. everyone, at least somewhat satisfied with the answers everyone gave, decided to watch something. they had already known about jaeden's parents. they didn't care about him at all. but he was okay with that because he had his friends and they cared about him. wyatt looked around the room, happy to have met these people.

his life wasn't great, but he was alive and he wasn't being abused anymore. he was with his mom who loved him. he was with his friends who loved him. and he was with y/n and he loved her.

he closed his eyes and laid his head in y/n's lap. she ran her hands through his curly hair, tugging on the roots gently. he rubbed circles into her knee through the sweatpants she was wearing.

content.