//30\\

days passed until they reached a small town. jack had hit his breaking point; reaching the peak of his withdrawal.

he was shaking and vomiting. y/n offered him antidepressants to help, but it didn't work.

the two of them sat in the tall grass along the side of the highway, only two silhouettes in the setting sun. "you guys should go," he mumbled, his eyes watering. "we can't, jack. you know that," she replied. "why not, y/n? why can't you guys just go?" he asked, his voice rising.

jeremy joined them, pulling the two out of the starting argument. without a word, jack burst into tears. jeremy put an arm around him and consoled him. "what's wrong, man?" he whispered. jack sniffled, wiping his snot and tears on the sleeve of his hoodie.

"i've never had anyone give a shit about me. ever. and you guys do. and it scares me, because i know that i'm gonna fuck this up eventually and you'll stop caring about me."

jeremy nodded.

jack took a few deep breaths and wiped his eyes, fixing his beanie. he pushed himself off the ground, y/n and jeremy doing the same. "we couldn't do that. wanna know why?" y/n asked, tossing her arm around the slightly taller boy. "why?" he asked sarcastically.

"because then we'd be hypocrites."

with that, she skipped off ahead of them, joining wyatt on the hood of the car sharing a cigarette with finn and jaeden.