Chapter 16 The Quest

Zacznij od początku

"You can't go against the word of the witch," one hissed as if deeply offended by his harsh words. "She slew Umerius. The law dictates that the order follows her now."

"Even I could have slain Umerius if I could have just-"

"Enough squabbling," a raspy voice emanated from one of the men. "We are just a week from our destination. You will be a part of something special, little girl, take solace that you will serve the light, soon enough."

The last sentence was aimed at her, but he didn't look down to say it. He strode back to somewhere behind the chest, where the crackle of a small fire was audible. The others stared down at the other man as if a fight was on the brink of happening. But they dispersed, moving to the fire outside her vision, leaving only her, and that man. He glared angrily at the others before kicking the latch closed and locked.

"Do not make another sound," he roared. "She said that you are needed, but I doubt she needs you with all your limbs attached."

As much as she was afraid, and indeed she was, she found herself biting her tongue to shout back from within the small prison they had her in. She had never heard someone threaten anyone else like that. Well, except when a merchant comes by with abhorrent deals. But such talking was seen as little taste. Strong words would have been made. But she's not in the village, she realized. These people don't care for courtesy, and not so much for her well-being, besides whether she is alive or dead. They wouldn't have stuffed her in this chest if this was not the case. How she hoped that she still had her spear, or perhaps the sword she was given. Anything would be a comfort in her hands.

She placed a hand on the walls again, careful not to make any large noises. The wood was strong and possibly reinforced with metal on the other side. Even though she was a "little girl" they took the precaution. However, there was something they hadn't accounted for, or so she thinks. She had been training with her brother since she was twelve, and he did manage to teach her some things. One of which was how to channel the power of the aura, into enhancing oneself. And now she channeled zoi into her hand. It was still a strain, and she immediately broke in a sweat. But she knew it was not enough. She tried to go even further, channeling zoi further and further into the tips of her finger till she saw the glow in the darkness.

They reinforced the walls and probably the top of the chest. She placed the tip of her finger on the wooden floor. But I doubt they collectively have the sense to do the same to the floor as well.

She dug her nail into the wood. She was not stabbing it, but making sure that she had good holding. She found the direction of the grain, and how the chest was carved. She spent a lot of time around her mother, and she would often tell her that wits are far better than brawn. But both are needed to succeed. Her brother was always a shining example for everyone. He was a well-read man and also a knight. She understood just a little why every one of her friends at one time had a crush on him, and the single women whisper about him when their mother isn't around. But, she can also be crafty. She can also do things that most dream of doing. And she wasn't going to let that go to waste now. She knows that she won't be able to break out now, but over time she can weaken it, wait for the perfect opportunity and escape then. She would just have to be patient and endure.

Endure.

(X)

Edlund was puzzled, seeing everyone standing in front of the castle. The main complex of where officials, the king, and royalty reside. Knights are welcomed, of course, but even he was a bit shocked to find a letter under his door telling him to meet up with everyone here. He had been ready to go the moment he awakened, everything packed and sorted, for once, and feeling once again ahead of the curve. But then, Lyse decided to throw him off his game like this. He couldn't mistake that girlish handiwork anywhere. He was a bit annoyed, but at the same time curious as to why the three of them had been summoned without Lyse in sight.