Chapter 35

“Guys, I have a good feeling about this! If we go to the Earth King now, I'm sure he'll agree to help us!” Encouraged Sokka, looking down at his friends who were currently slouching on the sandy shore of a tiny island in the middle of Lake Laogai.

“And what makes you say that, Sokka? He'll probably believe whatever lie Long Feng feeds him.” Replied Katara wearily, stretching out one of her arms as she spoke.

“Instincts? Look, we're on a winning streak right now- what could go wrong?” Sokka was completely aware he had probably just jinxed them, but he was too interested in getting his group to agree to talking to the Earth King to worry about that.

“I'm not sure an hour of good luck can be classed as a ‘winning streak’.” Argued Zuko, seeming just as tired as the others all were after their battle with the Dai Li. On the bright side, at least, his earthbending seemed to have improved drastically, if the way he'd been blocking those rocky attacks was anything to go by (no, Sokka had not been staring).

“Can't we just escape with Appa while we can?” Asked Aang, from where he was cuddling against the bison’s side protectively- though it seemed unnecessary since the beast was still chewing on Long Feng’s boot.

“Nah, I think we should fight our way to the Earth King!” Chipped in Toph, to which Sokka smiled appreciatively; finally, someone was on his side.

“Come on, you just want to fight the Dai Li again.” Accused Katara with a knowing frown, that Toph couldn't see but probably sensed from the way she shrugged.

Sokka attempted to contemplate everyone's opinions over what they should do, figuring a leader had to take their group’s thoughts into account- even if nobody else considered him the ‘leader’. Okay, sure, they were all pretty tired from rescuing Appa and fighting Long Feng, plus they still had Jet to worry about, but something in the non-bender’s gut was just telling him that they had to talk to the Earth King now.

“Please, guys? I really think this is what we should do.” He pleaded, hopefully not pathetically, whilst trying to give them his best ‘puppy-dog-eyes’.

“Urgh, fine, we'll go now.” Agreed Katara eventually, sulking a little.

“Okay, but how will we even get to the Earth King? His palace will be the most heavily guarded place on the planet, especially now that Long Feng knows we'll be coming.” Brought up Aang pretty reasonably, pulling away from Appa.

“...Actually, Toph and I had an idea for that.” Offered Zuko with an enticing smirk, which Toph paired with a gleeful one.

__

Appa flew towards the palace, a sea of Dai Li agents and normal Earth Kingdom soldiers dressed in green stretching out, almost crowding an entire half of the Inner Ring. There were catapults, arrows and even straight up boulders all pointing their way.

“Ummm, Zuko? Toph? What exactly is your plan?” Asked Sokka nervously, probably regretting not asking sooner.

Zuko sincerely hoped he hadn't overestimated how good at fighting their group had gotten, but figured it was too late to back out now and nodded at Aang- prompting him to urge Appa onwards into the onslaught of attacks.

“We're just going to charge through.” Replied Zuko, getting into a jumping position on Appa’s back and gesturing for the airbender to throw his staff.

“What?!” Yelled Katara, Sokka and Aang in unison, to which Toph chuckled.

“That's your plan?! How-” Started Sokka, getting interrupted as a land-to-air boulder flew towards them.