I shouldn't have been shocked. Duncan was definitely at retirement age, and the last few years had certainly not been easy. But I really needed him right now. I wasn't sure I could cope with anymore change.

"Don't worry, I'll serve my notice," he said reassuringly, "and I promise I won't leave until I find and train up my replacement."

I smiled at the man in front of me. He always knew what to say, and always put his duties before his own needs. He was irreplaceable. That was the problem.

"I don't know what I'm going to do without you," I said honestly. "I know you're due to retire, but honestly, I just don't feel that I can lose you right now."

Duncan sighed and looked at me with sympathy in his eyes.

"Have I ever let you down before Casper?"

"Well, no but.."

"And do you think I'd let you down now, when I know you're struggling?"

"I don't know, you're leaving me aren't you?" I said back rather spitefully.

Duncan just smiled.

"There's a time for everything Casper, that's what I've learnt over the years. There's a time to work hard, and a time to rest, and there's a time to grieve and there's a time to love again. It's time Casper."

"Time?" I asked, a little confused by his speech.

"Yes, it's time," he said, standing up and opening his door for me. "Now go and get some rest. You look like shit."

I just stared at him open mouthed. In all the time I'd worked with Duncan, I don't think I'd ever heard him swear.

And yet here he was, practically throwing me out of his office, with a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eye.

I just shook my head at him and stormed out, marching back to my room.

Did he not care? Did he not realise that I was hanging on by a thread, and that thread was about to snap?

I stormed into my lounge and was about to head straight back to bed when something on the sofa caught my eye. It was a little ring box.

I froze, rooted to the spot just staring at it.

Who had been in my room? No one was supposed to come into my room. But the box looked familiar. So familiar that I could feel my heart beating fast like it was trying to burst out of my rib cage.

I walked over and picked up the box. I opened it slowly and gasped.

It was my tiger pin.

Someone must have found it and returned it. There was a small piece of paper folded up inside the box with the pin.

I opened it up and read,

I never told you why I chose the Tiger as the animal that is most like you. It's about time that I did:

No two Tigers are the same as their markings are unique.

You are one of a kind, and I have never met, and will never again meet someone just like you.

Now please go to the place we first met....

Your Cub x

I stared at the note in my hands, my hands that were starting to shake quite badly.

Was this some kind of sick joke? Could the note really be from my Cub? Had he been in here?

I couldn't smell him. But I couldn't smell the scent of anyone in my room.