In the distance, the voice of a child echoed through the air, drawing your attention. Instinctively, you turned to look, your senses on high alert as you tried to make sense of this surreal situation.

"Yah! why are you here again?" 

"Don't be cold Y/n ah, Of course I came here to play with you!" 

"Fine" 

"Fuck is this for real..?" you cursed under your breath, disbelief coursing through you as you observed the surreal scene unfolding before your eyes. There, playing innocently in front of your childhood home, was your friend Dahyun, accompanied by a younger version of yourself. It was a memory from the past, a moment preserved in time, one you couldn't recall as you were too young then.

"I'll go ask mother and father for permission, wait for me here dahyun-ah" As the younger version of yourself dashed off with a squeaky voice, promising to seek permission from your parents, you couldn't tear your eyes away from the scene. Dahyun, with her soft smile and friendly wave, seemed entirely unaware of your presence. But then, in a strange twist, your gaze locked with hers, sending a shiver down your spine.

"If only..." Dahyun began, her voice tinged with regret. "If only my curiosity didn't get ahead of me..." Her smile faltered, turning bitter as she glanced towards the house you had entered.

"Huh..?--" you started, puzzled by her cryptic words.

"Before I came here, I witnessed something I shouldn't have, Y/n unnie," she confessed, her expression grave. "I managed to escape by coming here, even though there's a high chance they might have chased after me and harmed you too..." Her voice trailed off, and she met your gaze with a mix of guilt and uncertainty. "I guess I'm pretty selfish, right..?" She let out a sad giggle, but there was no mirth in her eyes.

"I-- No, you're not selfish, Dahyun..." you stuttered, your heart wrenching at the sight of her shattered expression. She was just a child at the time, yet the weight of her guilt seemed too heavy for her small frame to bear.

"I am, after all. In the end, I left you with memories that gave you nothing but trauma," she said softly, her voice tinged with sorrow. It pained you to hear her blame herself for circumstances beyond her control.

'Damn it...' 

"I would rather have died with you that time," you admitted, your gaze unwavering as you met her eyes. Dahyun's expression shifted, her features frozen in disbelief at your confession. Her eyes glistened with unshed tears, reflecting the deep turmoil within her.

"NO!" Dahyun's sudden outburst startled you, her voice ringing with raw emotion as she vehemently rejected your words. She backed away from you, her eyes wide with anguish and desperation.

"Don't say that!" she pleaded, her voice cracking with the weight of her emotions. Tears brimmed in her eyes as she struggled to comprehend the depth of your despair.

"How can I possibly live when you're gone..?" you whispered, the heaviness of your words hanging in the air between you.

Dahyun opened her mouth to respond, but the words seemed to catch in her throat. She hesitated, her expression torn between sorrow and frustration. With a bitter scoff, she finally spoke, her voice laced with disappointment and regret.