Lost and Lonely Kitten

__________________________________
Author's POV:
{ ~ Many Years Ago ~ }
_________________________________

__________________________________Author's POV: { ~ Many Years Ago ~ }_________________________________

A figure, small and thin, shivers and tucks themselves in for warmth, the heavy raindrops pelting their naked skin. Every now and again, the boy would sneeze, lurching forward with each one due to their power, and though the sounds of them were loud, he went ignored by the passing world. He sat alone in the alley in a dark corner, unseen by all but one. The child's head perks up when a sudden stop is put to the rain by a bright red umbrella, shielding both him and an older, hefty gentleman with a dust of stubble covering his chin. The man stares down at the boy questioningly, but with a kind gaze.

"What's a small thing like you doing out on the streets at this hour, and where are your clothes?" The child gave no answer as two catlike ears shot up from his head of matted hair. The man gasps, shocked by the unusual features, and is then drawn to look at the tail that twitches at the boy's side. He tenses and takes one step back as the boy gives a defensive stare, albeit a pathetic one, which is disrupted by another sneeze. Sniffling, the creature wipes his nose on the back of his hand. At this, the stranger's hazel eyes soften in pity. He does not know what precisely this person is, but they are a child all the same.

"Are... Are you alone out here?" The question goes unanswered. The odd boy hides his face in his arms again and sniffles, still trembling from the cold. This makes the older man frown.

"How's about I take you home? You look like you can use a nice, hot meal." At the very mention of something to eat, the younger male lifted his head, showing off his wide-set eyes. One is yellow, the other dull and grey, adding to his exotic look. The stranger chuckles at the sudden change of expression and gives him a tender smile while removing his coat to cover the creature.

The heavy fabric weighs down on the boy's shoulders, warming him instantly as he clutches it closer and shudders. Sniffling, he shakily stands from the pavement and follows the man to a shiny, black, town car. In the driver's seat is another man dressed in black uniform, who greets them with a smile, though he looked a little stunned to see a boy next to his employer. The older man waves him off and they board, the younger hesitating before going inside the vehicle. When the doors are shut, they set off, and the ride is silent for the first few minutes before the kind stranger asks another question

"What is your name?" The cat boy does not bother to look up from the floor as he speaks in a hoarse whisper.

"L- Lorenzo," he says, his voice low and accented, though, the man could not place his finger on the nationality. After a moment, he clears his throat and talks a little more, stuttering from the cold enveloping his frail form. "M- My ma g- gave me th- that name."