Hypothesis and Conjecture

It had been roughly two weeks since they sat down and talked. Logan claimed he observed everything by being home the most, he worked part-time at a bookstore and spent the rest of his time on the computer, doing some kind of coding and debugging most of the time. He tried explaining, but he had a tendency to go off on tangents and they had gotten off topic quickly.

Logan promised that he didn't use his powers, not even for simple things if he could help it. He calmed them down, promising he had never read their minds since they had moved in and promised he did not have plans to do so in the future, mostly to settle down Virgil who seemed the most anxious and upset at the news of his ability.

Patton admitted he never really used his at all until he had moved out a few years ago, but mostly just made one or two copies to help with chores or to keep him company when things got too quiet. He had mentioned he was usually careful, until his slip up with Virgil.

Roman had a problem with using his subconsciously and not being aware of it. His phone never seemed to lose a charge when he was using it and sometimes he forgot to plug things in before using them. He also had the problem of constantly being a source of static shock and static cling. Nothing too bad, but after admitting this, Virgil had bought a pack of balloons and Roman had woken up to a dozen balloons clung to him and a snickering Virgil taking photos.

Virgil had stated he never used his powers out of fear something might go wrong... but if he was about to miss a bus or train or was about to be late for an appointment, he didn't see the harm in stopping time for a bit just so he didn't have to worry. That got a chuckle out of Roman, who was amused by the prospect of such a strong power being used to help Virgil get to work on time at the craft store in case he slept in too late.

With the secrets out in the open, they seemed to be more relaxed around one another, becoming closer friends than the first three or so months they had lived together.

Patton could be found cleaning the living room or cooking while he was also at work as a library assistant, a job he found ironic Logan didn't have. Organizing catalogs and working with the computers was up his alley, but Logan much preferred the time he had at home working on small projects and reading, though he never explained what he was ever doing past the first time they had asked. They were too afraid of the confusing answer they would get again. Although Patton's favorite part of the job was when students would come in from school, or when they had nights where he and the librarian read children's books to the younger kids.

Roman had admitted he had been laid off from a comfy desk job about a year or so ago and hadn't found decent work since, resorting in an embarrassing job he refused to talk about besides venting about coworkers with as few details as possible. All they knew was he also worked at the local theater, and his other job involved him acting as well, though those were all the details he ever gave.

Weeknights where everything lined up and they could gather around and talk happened once in a while, but instead of hiding away, they quickly became 'family nights' as Patton called them. They would sit around and talk, just relaxing and having dinner. Patton had the most experience cooking something that hadn't been pre-frozen and had started teaching them the basics and having them explore the world outside of pizza and pasta.

Currently gathered in the living room, Patton and Roman shared the couch, Logan sat in the recliner with a book currently open but placed faced down onto the armrest, and Virgil sat on the floor between the coffee table and the small tv they had. Dinner had been loud and they all ventured over to the living room some time ago. Roman pulled out a bottle of wine he had gotten as a 'housewarming' gift and had shared it, but only Virgil had taken him up on the offer. It was cheap and Virgil was nursing it, mostly just swirling it around the cheap glass he had. Roman used an actual wine glass, the only one they had owned.