CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Start from the beginning

Lydia flushed and moved back again.

Becky’s mouth dropped open before she got red in the face. “Hey, I’m sick of people saying that Sam doesn’t have good friends. I’m her friend. I’m her best friend, even if she doesn’t know it, but I know I am.”

Adam added, “She is. I’ve seen her in action.”

Her finger jerked back up. “And you better treat her right, not like her last boyfriend. He sucks.” She pounded her chest with a beer in hand. “I know. I’m his cousin. I can say that. And he cheated on her. He was a fool. You better not cheat on her, Logan Kade.”

A look of admiration took root in his eyes, but he deadpanned, “And if I do?”

“I’m going to come for you.”

He chuckled. “Really?”

She stepped forward and bumped her chest to his. The movement wasn’t smooth and she would’ve tripped if Adam hadn’t caught her elbow.

“You’re right. You have ninja moves,” he encouraged her.

“Stop,” I said under my breath to him.

Then, with a different sounding laugh, he squeezed me against him again and kissed the side of my head. “No worries. I’ll be your boyfriend for as long as you want me to be.” He glanced at Becky. “I hope I won’t meet you in a dark alley, little girl.”

Her eyes rounded. “Really?”

“I’ve got moves too, little red.” Logan shook his head and laughed under his breath before he tapped my arm once and left.

Lydia swooned, swaying on her feet. “I need dry panties.”

“Lydia!”

Becky frowned at her.

Adam cringed behind them, but gave me a wry look. “Are you going to tell them?”

I shrugged.

“Tell us what?”

“Yeah, what?” They looked back and forth.

“Hey, dude!” Mark Decraw pushed his way through the crowd and slapped a hand on Adam’s shoulder. “I’ve been waiting for you for an hour, man.”

Adam grimaced. “Yeah, it took longer than I thought it would. Sorry about the wait.”

“No worries. I scored some free drinks at the pool downstairs.” Then his gaze swung wide and he took the rest of us in. His eyes widened a fraction when he saw me. “Hey, Sam. I heard upstairs got intense.”

My eyes cooled. “Yeah…”

“You think everything’s going to work out? You know, with you and M—”

“I don’t want to talk about it.” I folded my arms over my chest and waited. My heart started to pound. What right did he have to talk about my family struggles? He wasn’t family. He didn’t know a thing about it.

“Oh. Okay.” He looked towards Adam and shifted to the back of his heels.

Adam looked around the room.

So did Lydia while Becky’s eyes were glued to me as she mouthed, ‘What upstairs?’

Then someone laughed as they passed by. “Awkward!”

Lydia and Becky made eye contact and bent over giggling. Adam frowned more and he started to scratch his head.

I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do. Did I join in? Did I pretend I didn’t know what Mark was talking about? Did I pretend I was friends with Adam again? I had no idea, but I did know that I was separate from the group now. My relationship with the Kades had shifted me higher than my friends, but if they were like this with the assumption that I was sleeping with Logan, what’d they be like when they learned it was Mason?