CHAPTER SIX

Becky sat next to me where the sidewalk dipped to the parking lot. I’d been there after the school’s nurse had tended to my hands and after my da—David took the football team to the field for practice. That’d been around four. It was six now.

“I don’t understand why you won’t let me drive you home,” Becky grumbled.

I stared straight ahead.

“You want something to eat? Let’s get something to eat. I’ll drive.”

I jerked my head in a nod and stood up. When we got to her car, I winced as I tried to open the door. Becky hissed and moved me out of the way. She opened the door for me, and then climbed on her side. As she started the car, she muttered, “And you expect to be able to drive home like that? You can’t even open a door. You’re crazy.”

I grinned. “I thought you were going to be a good friend.”

“I am and I’m telling the truth. You’re crazy.”

That shut me up.

Her voice took on a giddy note. “Did you see how Adam was hovering over you? It was so romantic.”

I hadn’t. I’d been distracted.

“You guys are going to make a great couple. I can already tell.”

“How?”

“What?”

“How can you tell? You don’t even know me.”

“Well… Okay, I’m being honest here, but you weren’t all fabulous before. I mean, I’ve always known who you are. We’re lab partners, seriously, but I didn’t care. But something changed with you this year. I have no idea what, but it’s like you don’t care anymore.” When we pulled into a coffee shop, she laughed. “Then you showed up at that party in that outfit. It sounds stupid, I know, but there’s just something about you, like you’re a mystery or something. Everyone knew Jeff wanted you hardcore that night. And everyone knows he’s been cheating on you. Then you showed up today and you told off those pathetic excuses for friends.”

“Are you obsessed with me?” My hands were starting to throb. I sucked in a breath when I tried to flex one hand, but stopped right away. What the hell had I done?

She laughed another one of those high-pitched squeals and flipped the red curls over again.

I cringed.

“Um, no. Are you crazy? I mean, you are, but are you?” Her laugh weakened. She turned to face me in the car. “I’ve known Adam all my life. He’s my neighbor and he’s a good guy. He’s one of the good guys. I was thrilled when he broke up with Ashley.”

“So why don’t you date him?”

Her cheeks got red again and her hands started to fidget in her lap before she tugged her skirt further over her knees. She mumbled something then.

“What?”

When she looked back up, her whole face was red. “I’m not good enough for him. I’m fat. I know it. Everyone knows it. Your friends used to call me hippo every day until—they still do.”

I frowned.

“Anyways, I’m happy that he likes you. Last year I wouldn’t think you had any balls. I mean, look at who you were. You had two sleazy best friends and an even sleazier boyfriend. They were all sleazy together behind your back. Some people thought you were stupid or had special needs or something.”

“Thanks,” I said dryly.

She brightened. “Now you’re awesome. Jill Flatten tried to decimate you and you got away from her, easy as pie. No one does that. And you made her look stupid too.”