because of clyde parker| thirty-five

She couldn't blame her brother or Alec to be concerned about her running off into the sunset with Clyde Parker, the boy who blew off a warehouse just because he was bored

She couldn't blame her brother or Alec to be concerned about her running off into the sunset with Clyde Parker, the boy who blew off a warehouse just because he was bored. Clyde Parker was cynical and she was stuck in a paradox.

He was a walking-talking-breathing disaster with pretty blue eyes and a heartbeat, a mess and soon she found herself tangled in his mess.

She didn't know what to believe and what not to. She could hear her mother in her mind, telling her to 'follow her heart', as cliché as it sounded but she didn't know what her heart wanted.

All she knew was that she wanted to believe in the boy with the stars in his eyes, holding the universe in his hands. The boy who had let her see him cry, the boy who was still drowning within the voices in his head and boy who gave away parts of him to her in the memories they shared.

When she arrived home, he was standing by her window, wearing the kind of smile her father wore in the evenings after firing a lot of people in his firm. It didn't take her long to connect the dots, as much as she hated it, the answer was staring at her from beside the window.

She dropped her bag on the rug and stomped up to him. "You!" She grabbed him by his collar, pulling his six-foot-something frame to her level. Their lips were inches apart and their noses brushed.

For a moment she couldn't breathe and her legs wobbled like jelly, she could feel a warmth pool at her core and a tug in her heart. His blue eyes seemed to have pierced through every wall she had built.

He inched closer and as she was about to meet him halfway, she remembered why she was there. "It was you, wasn't it?" She poked his chest, "You put the packet in Caleb's locker and tipped off the school, didn't you?"

He could've given her a full fledged explanation explaining the reason behind his actions but instead he spoke one word "Payback," partly because he didn't think he owed her an explanation and partly because he knew how much she looked up to Caleb, how much trusted him and loved him, he couldn't just take that away from her.

He may be a bastard but he sure wasn't a cheap bastard to stoop that low. "You disgust me, Clyde Parker!" she shoved him away as he staggered hitting her bookshelf.

Her lips weren't the first to direct those words at him but her lips were the only ones that let him be affected by those words. All this while he had been collecting all these questions but now his answer stood before him, everything he seeked was there right in front of him.

He had been empty for so long. He tried filling the emptiness in his heart with whiskey on the rock, dull out the ache with the voices in his head, escape from the reality with blue pills. He tried everything but the emptiness wouldn't fucking go away. And then he laid his eyes on her, the girl living her story one page at a time, the girl whose eyes burnt like embers in a flame.