because of clyde parker| three

IN THE MORNING AFTER her disastrous weekend, tragedy and bad Karma seemed to have clung to her like she had tampered with the balance of nature

IN THE MORNING AFTER her disastrous weekend, tragedy and bad Karma seemed to have clung to her like she had tampered with the balance of nature. She had woken up fifteen minutes after her first lesson when a throbbing headache shot up her skull, it was worse than having a bitchy hangover.

It was one of those days when she needed an impromptu pep talk and a Panadol or two in her survival kit along with her 'Girl Power' playlist ringing through her eardrums.

Yellow sticky notes flocked all over her room and her mental to-do list was ever-growing. Her ancient Blackberry beeped for the hundredth time and her alarm clock was already on the floor in four-pieces.

When she finally managed to drag her sorry ass to washroom and throw on a hoodie and a pair of decent jeans over her pjs, she realized that walking home, dripping wet at an ungodly had finally taken a toll on her health.

Sore throat, bad cold and a runny nose – her day only seemed to get better.

She thought she was under the weather, at least she had hoped she was but all to no avail. She was too much of a stuck up overachiever to let anything ruin her perfect attendance.

Sighing, she chucked her Blackberry and everything she could accumulate in her backpack, fumbled around for a missing sock, looked for her cars keys only to recall that it was with Alec before zombie-walking down the stairs.

"Ethan, turn that down!" covering her ears with her palms, she shouted over the earsplitting rock music her brother blasted, "I swear, the neighbors will call the cops again!" All in vain, since her Ethan sought to turning the music even louder as an alternative to block his sister out.

"Ethan stop being a piece of shit ! You know what, I am leaving for school unlike you, breakfast is on the table and just don't blow off the house while I am not here. Be good Ethan." She called out banging on his door one last time on her way out  and then grabbed an apple off the fruit basket.

Ethan Marshal had dropped out of his college last year and they never heard the end of his questionable conduct and deteriorating grades. After their father left the same year, Ethan took it the hardest and ever since he has been hovering in a constant shame-spiral.

She hardly ever saw her brother these days, all she ever saw was a broken shell of the man he once used to be.

°•°•°

Certain that karma would be hunting her down with a pitch fork, she walked through the driveway with an apple between her teeth, to find that Alec had dropped her car off in one-piece without any scratch. It was a second-hand but good as new Toyota Sienna in a vibrant red hue; it wasn't much but it was all she had earned from her countless extra-shifts at Becky's for her sixteenth birthday.

Her windows were rolled halfway down, revealing her car keys. But when her eyes fell on the disgusting gooey piece of rubber sticking to the windshield, the half-eaten apple dropped from her mouth rolling into the sidewalk. Sultry fluid was oozing out of it and all of last night's leftover casserole was about to splurge out of her throat.