Chapter 40

Akari

Finals flew past in a breeze. When the last paper was done, I was pretty sure my brain short-circuited.

"You'll be fine," Karma said that day right before the results were out. His words boosted my confidence.

And he was right. I got no.20 for the whole grade and I could never been such satisfied. Karma got no.1 and defeated his 'archenemy', Asano. Korosensei was extremely delighted that our entire class got into one of the finest grades. Class 3E was no longer a shameful and disgraceful name.

Of course, our school chairman was not pleased. Enraged, he ordered the demolition of our classroom and challenged Korosensei to a death match of knowledge. Against all odds (and anti-Korosensei pellets), Korosensei won. Chairman Asano, surprisingly, accepted his defeat.

After that, our class was forced to put on a school play. Hazama purposefully wrote the play about divorce between an abusive relationship between a lecherous, conniving husband (played by Sugino) and distressed wife (Kanzaki). It was a dark twist on the Japanese folktale, Momotarou. It successfully made the whole school lose their appetites, but it was fun for us.

"Say... you owe me food," says Karma after the school play. The whole class is just hanging around in the classroom, talking about the school play we've just put out.

I look at him, bewildered. "Did my ears deceive me? Did you say I owe you?"

He smirks. "Duh. I helped you in your studies."

I roll my eyes. "I helped you in yours too!"

He raises an eyebrow.

I glare at him.

"What? I was born intelligent."

"Fine. Just this once. What do you want?" I say.

"I'd like to try a maid café..." he trails off.

Oh hell no.

"...where you can be a maid," he snickers.

I stomp on his feet. He yelps.

"Soba stand. That's it. I ain't rich like you," I say firmly.

He scoffs. "Ah... too bad. I really want to see you in a maid dress. After all, I seem to recall some certain promise about someone wearing a maid dress if she breaks the said promise."

I feign innocence. "Oh god my head hurts. W-where am I? W-who am I? What am I doing here?" I try to leave but Karma pulls me back by my collar.

"Uh-uh. No running," he says.

Damn it!

"Karma, let me go or I'll—"

BOOOOOOM!

A loud explosion echoes from the outside of the classroom. Tremors send the whole classroom shaking. Karma grabs on to me and holds me in his arms to cover me.

"W-what just happened?!" someone shouts.

"The explosion, it's from outside!" Yuuma shouts. "Let's go!"

"Don't tell me Chairman Asano decides to blow us up this time......" Maehara mutters as he joins the others to go outside.

Karma's grip on me tightens. "You okay?"

My head leans against his warm chest. "Err yeah..." somehow, my heart skips a beat and I'm reminded of the times we used to hug each other when we're dating. "You... can let me go now."