Chapter 20

Rio

"The amusement park?" Nagisa says, rubbing his eyes and yawns. "You called us up this early for a trip to the amusement park?"

Rio snickers. "Yes." This is a plan she has thought of for the whole night. It occurs to her that it is essential to see more lovey-dovey scenes between the rumoured pretend couple—Akari and Karma. In short, KarmAkari or Akarma or whatever her shipping fantasy likes to call it. "It's summer. We got plenty of time. And I need to see more lovey-dovey scenes!"

Nagisa sighs in defeat while Megu shakes her head. Okuda yawns as she cleans her cloudy spectacles with her handkerchief.

"You know if Karma finds out he won't hesitate to put us through a wasabi hell," Megu sternly comments, her hand stationed on her waist.

"Karma-kun likes to keep thing natural and let progress flow without any third party influence," Nagisa adds. He gawks glassy-eyed at Rio, who isn't fazed by their negativity. "He doesn't like us messing around."

Okuda nods. She fiddles with her fingers. "And I felt guilty lying to Akari-chan... I hope she doesn't hate me when she finds out."

Rio smirks. Her mind cooks up reasons to bait them into her evil plan. "We are not lying. We invite them to the amusement park, give them a little push, and leave them to have some alone time. It would be suspicious to have just the six of us, so I invited the rest." If she isn't composed, she'd probably be cackling like a villain.

After the pretend incident at the island, Rio is more convinced than ever that her knuckleheaded friend and her devilish male counterpart are meant to be with each other. If neither of them is bold enough to take the step forward, she might as well be the instigator. For the sake of her best friend's happiness and the sake of her self-entertainment and gossip, Rio will do it even if the stakes are high.

"Rest?" Megu rubs her temples. Rio likes it when she is able to persuade Megu—sort of— to join in her heinous plans. At least she didn't say no in the beginning.

"You'll see. I've sent out the invitations. We can't cancel the event," Rio presses on, not leaving any space for negotiation. "That redhead will figure out if we cancel the thing."

"So our main objective is?" Okuda couldn't catch up. She stares at Rio quizzically.

"To push them together by leaving just the both of them at any moment any location within the park. I can't specify any locations but when the timing is perfect you guys will know what to do. Just follow my lead~"

*****

Akari

I stare at the amusement park entrance which is a huge arc adorned with growing tendrils and blooming flowers. The pink flowers are a rare sight since it is mid-summer. They are as tiny as stars but just as brilliant. The sun makes Earth a scorching hell but I have my summer hat and sunblock ready. There is no way I'm going home sunburned.

Since this is a leisure activity, I wear denim jumpsuit which reaches my knees and a white shirt. It is similar to the kind farm girls wear in the US. Karma came with me since we are living in the same area. His eyes have been fixed on me ever since we met at the T-junction but he has said nothing. He was probably mesmerized even though I'm the typical dorky girl who wears anything but skirts for comfortable and mobility measures.

The rest has been waiting for us by the entrance. And when I mean 'the rest', I don't expect to meet more of my classmates. Rio must have gotten hyped because we are finally going to some place she claims to like and invited Isogai, Maehara, Hinata, Rinka, Sugino, Kanzaki, and Fuwa. I am only expecting the blonde herself and my other best friend Megu, and also Nagisa, Kaede and Manami.