Chapter 20

Loki watched her sitting there, staring at nothing. Or maybe she was watching the sun set and then the stars. He honestly didn't care what it was she was looking at. The fact remained it was all she did and so it annoyed him. Not that he would give her any indication. He was being supportive of her, as any husband should be while their wife was recovering from a trauma. He just didn't know what to do, how to help her, other than let her sit there, staring. Each day, when she woke, she would stand up, bathe, dress and then sit outside on their balcony. She only went back inside when Loki himself went out there to bring her inside.

Sometimes he would go out and sit with her, speak with her. But all her responses had none of the usual feeling or enthusiasm that she usually had. He did have to admit though, that it was better than her being silent and completely withdrawn. When they had let go of each other in the healing halls, Loki got a front row seat of Althea being emotional until she seemed to withdraw within herself and her eyes lost the usual warmth and fire. Now, only a faint glow of the life that was slowly leaving her as the shell she now was remained.

He would not leave her alone, so most days it was just him sitting with her. But even he needed a break, so reluctantly he allowed Sif to sit with Althea while he went and had some time to himself to breathe. It was frustrating, not knowing what to do, what to say…

Slowly, he walked outside of their room and out onto the balcony to stand beside her, "Sif is going to come and see you today while I speak with my mother," he informed her.

Althea nodded, not taking her eyes off the horizon. Loki hoped he would get a verbal response from her, and not just a physical one. Yet, his hopes were lost. She only spoke when asked a direct question that required an answer of her more elaborate than yes or no.

"I will see you later then," he told her, kissing her head, lingering there for a moment before walking away from her with a sigh.

"Loki?" He heard her soft voice call out to him, so timid and small, not like it should be.

"Yes?" He replied turning to look at her, hoping she was looking back at him, but her eyes were still on the same spot.

"I love you," She told him, maybe sensing that he needed the words to come from her. And he did. Even when she was hurting, withdrawn and so sad, she still thought of him and the thought made him smile slightly.

"And I you," he told her before walking away to the door, where he saw Sif coming in.

"How is she today?" Sif asked him with interest.

He paused for a moment, and then spoke, "The same," he said, before striding away from her and walking out the door.

Althea didn't mean to cause Loki so much pain. She didn't mean to stare at nothing for hours on end each day. She wasn't really sure how to help herself, or how to let others help her. She felt useless and naïve, she didn't think she was worthy of the attention Loki gave her, that Sif or anyone else gave her. It was her fault, the mess she was now in. If only she had seen Eirik for what he truly was. She was blinded by the persona that he put forth and because of that her father was dead, and so was Etta. How could Sif sit beside her with such care and love in her eyes as she talked about all that Althea had missed in her time away, or about how her training was coming along. Did she see the cause of their father's death sitting before her?

"-And did I tell you that Fandral still has not stopped his endless flirting? How many times do I have to best him in combat before he understands that I do not share in his feelings? I don't know why, but I still love Thor, even though he only sees me as his friend and comrade but-" Sif continued speaking, but Althea tuned her out for now. Usually she would be happy to listen to Sif and offer her advice, but now her thoughts were too heavy and all-consuming.

Hardest of Hearts (Thor/Avengers: Loki/OC )On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara