Chapter 9

1 year later

As Althea walked down the snowy streets of Asgard on her way to her old home to have dinner with her father, just the two of them, she thought of many things, like she so often did while on a walk by herself. Absentmindedly, she fingered the necklace Loki had given her, which somehow turned into her official emblem. Not that she minded, she loved the design, and it reflected her new title of Goddess of Life.

The title was something she was slowly becoming used to, but one thing she had not expected, was to hear them. When Odin had sent out his power, letting everyone know who and what she was, she'd thought he'd only meant the people of Asgard. But it seemed her name had been spread to all the worlds.

She'd always wondered how the Midgardians had known of the Gods and Goddesses of Asgard, and now she knew. But she hadn't expected to hear them pray to her, the first time she'd heard a mortal, was when a woman had prayed to her for a child. That was something not in Althea's power, and while she hoped the woman got what she desired, she could not help her.

The Midgardians were under false beliefs about them, though some things were indeed true. Still, even though she had never been to Midgard, it hurt to hear their prayers and know there was nothing she could do for them. She'd never known what being a Goddess really meant until now, she had just thought it was a title and that was all, but she should have realized it was much more than that.

Only a year later and she was still learning; Althea didn't know when she would understand it entirely. She knew Sif was appreciating her title, and she told Althea that Midgardians had been praying to her too. Most wanted aid in battles but others just wanted Sif's blessing.

Althea was very proud of Sif, for accomplishing what they'd set out to do as young children. A part of her had sadly doubted the both of them. It was a child's goal after all, but they had pulled through and done it.

She kept twisting the necklace in her hand, only letting go when it started getting warm from all her grasping. Althea wasn't sure it was a good thing she had never taken the necklace off, as all it did was remind her of Loki, and her love for him. Yet, she couldn't bring herself not to wear it. It felt like a part of her now, and she was sued to the comforting jewelry.

One thing that did help to ease her pain though, was Eirik. Who kept showing up in her life so much, that just a week ago they'd went on a walk together in the garden. As friends only, at least that's what she thought, but Eirik, she wasn't so sure. But it wasn't his fault, he didn't know her heart was already held by another, (even though he didn't know it).

Still being around him was like a shield; he took away the pain and hurt she felt and made her happy. But as soon as he was gone again the pain would return. Althea knew she was using Eirik for her own needs, which wasn't fair, to either of them, but still she did not put a stop to their newfound friendship.

She believed he needed someone in his life, after all he'd been through, maybe Etta? He was a very nice man, and after everything, he was still fighting for what he wanted, something she admired.

With that thought in mind, she began to recall their conversation on their walk.

"How old are you Eirik?" Althea had asked him in curiosity, you never could tell with an Asgardian.

"I have just had my 2000th birthday," Eirik replied smirking.

Althea's eyes widened in surprise, "But you said you've only been a guard for 500 years, why not a thousand?" She asked him in confusion.

A dark look overtook Eirik's features, one she'd never seen before, one she didn't like. "I would have been, but I was in an…accident while training that left me seriously injured. I had to take a reprieve to heal, and then restart training," He explained, looking over at her.