Chapter 16

1 Month Later

A month, an entire month she'd been away from Loki, away from her family, away from her friends. A month since she'd watched Eirik kill Etta, a month since she'd felt the warm, sticky liquid life flow into the fabric of her dress. A month since she'd been pulled away from her home, by that…that monster! A month since she'd been unable to save Etta. A month since she'd watched her die. A month since she'd used her magic.

She counted each day, it was impossible not to. And everyday, every chance she got, she searched for a way to escape the place Eirik kept her captive. It was a log cabin, beautifully built and warm with a hearth in the middle of the room. There were many fur blankets and rugs thrown about, a table to dine at and chairs too. But all the same it was rustic, and anything but what she was used to in Asgard, what anyone was used to in Asgard.

But she supposed her accommodations could be worse than this if she were honest. It still did not change the fact that she was indeed, held captive. And if the cool iron cuff, attached to a chain that was bolted to a pillar in the house, around her right ankle was anything to say about her willingness to be there, then the nail in her hand would.

She'd spotted it in the walls her ninth day in the place; once the shock and disbelief had worn off she'd begun to search for ways to escape. Eirik kept a very close eye on her though, and chances were slim and few. So every time he stepped outside, she would quickly start tugging and pulling at the nail in the wall, and over time it had become loose enough she could pull it out. Today Eirik had gone foraging for food and water, which he did every other day or so.

The second she could no longer hear his footsteps walking from the house she had sat on the bed (which thankfully was hers alone) and started using the sharp point of the nail on the keyhole in the cuff. But she'd had no such luck today, or the day before either. She only hoped the constant wear on it would eventually break it down enough that she could free herself.

She didn't dwell on what she'd do once she did escape, where she would go, or any of those details; only escape was the priority now. She had no idea where they even were, were they still on Asgard? And if not then where exactly were they? She wished only to see outside the house, to maybe identify their surroundings but Eirik never let her out. Not even to see the sun, which hadn't touched her skin the entire time she'd been chained.

And even if Eirik did let her out, she doubted the stupid chain would reach all the way through the door. The house was only about 30 feet long, and the width about twenty. The problem was, the doorway exiting the house was directly across from the bolt that held the chain in place.

She would have escaped long ago, and not have to resort to using a rusty nail to aid her escape if she could use her magic. A simple spell would break the chain no problem and she would be free, but she could not feel it, at all. It had something to do with that other magic wielder she'd briefly fought against on Asgard, and lost. That woman was much more powerful, and had much more knowledge than Althea did in the arts of magic. And sadly, foolishly, Althea had focused most of her magic learning on healing spells, only just touching on defensive and offensive magic.

But even so, dwelling on the past and its what ifs would help her situation none, at least not now. Maybe once she got out of this, and she would, she'd have Loki teach her more…Why did she have to be so against the arts of battle? Why had she never asked Sif to teach her to wield a dagger? She got the general, stabbing, thrusting motion, but she couldn't defend herself with a dagger, she'd more likely end up hurting herself. And there was also the problem that she didn't have a dagger with her… but looking down at the metal nail in her hand, she decided it would have to do.

There was no way she could survive out in the…wherever they were, outside of the cabin she was in now, without protection. It didn't matter where they were, there would doubtlessly be trouble lurking, and she'd be left defenceless. Althea was so very angry. Angry at herself, angry at the world, and most of all, angry at Eirik.