Chapter 14 Journey Ahead

Start from the beginning

"It's Hing Sickness, isn't it," he told her, the first time he was able to speak normally without louder sounds drowning him out.

She nearly stopped mid-motion sitting, but sat down a bit stiffly and a bit surprised. "Not a lot of people know about that. Usually, they'd pass it off as nausea, or a weak stomach. I've had to keep an eye on him since he left the doctors."

"I noticed," Lyse stared into his drink with a frown. Elena quickly noticed his expression and recognized it. It was the same face she saw on him when he had entered the dungeon when he chose to serve exploration. t was one of deep thought, playing at scenarios, and questions that rambled through his mind. She recognized it from the dark stares of veterans, delving into their minds, and resurfacing horrid events. Obviously, Lyse was a bit too young for lamenting, right? Then again, what did she know about Lyse? She felt a little embarrassed that he knows more about her than vice versa. He had to her that he was from Brokenarrow, where the Plains met the forest of Silence, and that he was a farmer, but that was about. She did not quite understand why, but she wanted to know as much about him as possible.

"I can tell you have not been enjoying yourself as you should be," Elena told him, and for the first time, he looked at her with surprise, almost as much as when he learned who her father was. "You seem like you're always deep in thought. Tell me what troubles you."

Her tone was more assertive than she intended and was momentarily afraid that he would be pushed away from talking. However, he simply sighed, leaning back a bit into his chair, fingering the brass locks on his gambeson. On it was the molded head of a lion snarling. He seemed to fixate on it for just a moment, she could practically see the gears turning in his head as he looked up once more in her eyes, dark blue eyes looking for any motive. The glare was so invasive it nearly made her squirm. She did not know what he was looking for, but he seemed to find it quickly as he began talking.

"Promise me you will not breathe another word of what I say to others,"
his voice was low, but loud enough for her to hear. She nodded and leaned forward, intrigued by his secretive approach. He hesitated a moment longer before finally speaking once more. "My sister has been kidnapped, and I plan on finding her."

Immediately he looked around, expecting someone to pause or show any sign of eavesdropping, but all seemed to be about their own business, barely noticing either him or Elena at the table. When he turned back to her, she seemed deep in thought now, as if a puzzle was dropped before her. She flashed him a curious look, and expectant.

"Is that why you chose the exploration cohort?" she asked him, and he nodded. "Makes sense. Usually, explorers are sent for when an assignment comes up, and it may take months for another to be needed. You'll have plenty of time. But, who is it that has done this? Are they common thieves looking for ransom or . . ."

He shook his head sadly, and slowly as if he wished his problem was as simple. "I am nothing but a farmer. What could we possibly have that they would want."

Even as those words left his lips, he could taste the bitter lies within them. He knew full well what they are after. This very pendant that now laid tucked into his inner shirt. HE hadn't taken it off since leaving Brokenarrow, and he could feel some alluring power within, sometimes calling him, affecting him. The words the goddess told him echo in his dreams. Find the other pendants, and rescue his sister before it is too late. HE still had many many questions, including why his mother previously owned this pendant, and if she was aware of its properties. That and many many others, including why, kidnap his sister, and not spare his mother and father.

Nevertheless, he went on. "Whatever the cause of her taking, I intend on finding her."

"Alone," Elena said after a while. "If these people are dangerous, it doesn't matter if you are a knight now or not, you can not take them on alone. That would be foolish."