XXXIX

Really, Really Good Friends

  ⧊  

Rosemary sat outside of Betty's house with her jacket hugged against her as she held her phone to her ear. A cold breeze ran over her small curled up form and a shiver ran down her spine. She sniffled and rubbed the bottom of her nose with her sleeve. The soft ringing echoing in her mind until it clicked and went to voice mail.

"This is Cameron Holland," Cameron's voice said through the phone in a cheery tone. "Leave a message after the beep."

Rosemary sat there in silence while she hugged her phone to her chest and sniffed again, fighting back tears. Every day she'd call her brother's phone, wishing that he would answer and tell her everything's okay. She sighed and stood up, quickly sending a text to Betty saying that she suddenly didn't feel good and wasn't up to shopping. Instead, she sent Jughead a text saying she was heading next door and to unlock the front door.

Rosemary walked right into the Andrew's household to see a smiling Jughead, who frowned right away when he saw her watery eyes. The sound of Archie talking with his parents in the kitchen could be heard, but Rosemary ignored it and instantly wrapped her arms around Jughead's waist and squeezed him tight.

"Woah, woah, woah," Jughead whispered as he wrapped his arms around her, softly shutting the front door. "What's wrong? Are you okay? I thought you were going dress shopping with Betty and Veronica."

Rosemary slowly nodded but the two stood there silently, Jughead running his hand through her hair and squeezing her small body close to him. the two rocked back and forth in the small entrance area of Archie's house. Rosemary's toes stood on Jughead's feet so she was pressed against his body completely.

"I-I'm fine," Rosemary finally answered. "Everything's fine I just... Wasn't up for shopping... Can I, uh, stay the night?"

Jughead didn't hesitate to nod, pressing a soft kiss on the top of her head and pulling away to wipe the few tears that escaped her eyes.

"Of course you can stay," Jughead nodded. "Mr. Andrews loves you. Plus, I know Archie's mom is going to want to see you."

Rosemary nodded and linked her hand with Jugheads, the two of them walking over to the kitchen. Jughead called out a 'hello' to make their presence known.

"Jughead, Rosie, hey," Archie sent a small wave and turned back to his parents.

"Oh, shoot," Rosemary muttered, noticing the tense atmosphere in the kitchen. "Are we interrupting a family meeting?"

"Cause we can come back," Jughead continued for her, his arm wrapping around her waist to pull her slightly closer, making her cheeks flare up bright red.

"Absolutely not," Mary, Archie's mom, shook her head. She eyed Jughead's tight grasp around Rosemary's waist and sent the flushed blonde girl a small grin. "So, who's going to the dance? besides your dad and me... Oh, and Hermione, whom I invited."