II

Blue Jasmine

Blue Jasmine

Rosemary walked down the hall with a binder in her arms, already late for homeroom but she didn't mind because she knew her homeroom teacher was okay with people not showing up for homeroom. 

Rosemary had dressed up for the first day of school like she usually did. She wore a thin, blue sweater with a lace white collar, a white skater skirt, and a pair of white, vintage, chunky pumps and little white socks. Her hair was straightened, her choppy bangs that she cut herself framing the side of her face flawlessly. Her binder was white with a sheet of paper slipped in the front pocket reading 'Science' in thick, pastel purple cursive. She had a small white pencil pouch balanced on top along with her phone, wallet, and a blueberry muffin for breakfast.

"A strip club called the Ho Zone," The familiar voice of Kevin Keller echoed in the halls. "And a tragic gay bar called Innuendo. Friday nights, football games and then tailgate parties at the Mallmart parking lot. Saturday night is movie night, regardless of what's playing at the Bijou, and you better get there early, because we don't have reserved seating in Riverdale. And Sunday nights, thank God for HBO."

Rosemary looked over her shoulder to see Betty and Kevin giving the new girl, Veronica Lodge, a tour of Riverdale High. Rosemary decided that she might as well join the trio instead of going to homeroom and walked over, her heels clicking on the tile floor.

"Veronica Lodge, Kevin Keller," Betty introduced the two "Veronica is new here. Kevin is-"

"Gay, thank God," Veronica held her hand out to Kevin, who politely shook it. "Let's be best friends."

"Already tried," Rosemary made her presence known as she walked over to the trio. "But Betty holds that spot in Kev's big 'ol heart."

"Rose," Kevin quickly wrapped his arm around her shoulders and squeezed her tight. "Damn, summer time did you good. You got hot over the summer."

"Aw," Rosemary hugged Kevin back, her face blushing red from the compliment. "Thank you, Kev. You look great too."

Rosemary and Kevin became friends in 7th grade. Rosemary had shown up to school and was in a class with no one she knew. The poor, shy girl sat in the back of the classroom silently praying to God that someone would talk to her. Then, as if it were some kind of miracle, Kevin Keller sat at the desk next to her and started a conversation with her about her shoes. The two quickly became close and did everything together in that class.

"Is it true what they say about your dad?" Kevin asked Veronica, his arm still draped over Rosemary's bony shoulders.

Both Betty and Rosemary sent Kevin wide-eyed looks, but Betty's was stern and scold-like while Rosemary's was confused and curious.

"That he's the devil incarnate?" Veronica asked with a raised eyebrow and cold tone. "I stand by my father. Does everyone here know?"

Rosemary shook her head while both Betty and Kevin nodded. Rosemary looked at both of them with wide, confused eyes. She quickly sent Kevin a 'tell me later' look and he nodded before they all looked at Veronica.