XVI

The Last Picture Show

Rosemary sighed, walking up to the projection booth with a bag of popcorn and a large soda. Her bangs hung on her forehead and her hair was curled so it hung down her back. She wore a black, long sleeve skater dress, Jughead's denim jacket, and a pair of black pumps. She quietly opened the door and knocked softly, catching Jughead's attention.

"Knock knock," Rosemary sent Jughead a sad smile and walked in, placing the bag of popcorn and soda on the floor, pulling a chair up and sitting next to Jughead. "Can't believe this is our last time watching a movie here."

Jughead stayed quiet and Rosemary took a deep breath, leaning her head against his shoulder. Jughead stiffened and looked down at her. Rosemary's eyes were locked on the screen, the lights from the projector reflecting across her face.

"You know, Jughead," Rosemary took a deep breath, sitting back up and turning to face him. "If you need a place to stay-"

"Don't, Rose," Jughead shook his head, not even letting her finish. "I don't want anybody's pity, especially not yours."

"It's not pity, Jughead," Rosemary frowned at his hostile tone. "I'm offering you a place to stay. A roof over your head, a bed to sleep in, food on the table."

"Yeah, well," Jughead huffed, turning towards her. "I don't need it. I've got everything under control so if you could stop acting like my mother for two seconds-"

"Excuse me?" Rosemary snapped, standing up. "Your mother? How about you try again, Forsythe, but with 'friend' instead."

"Friend?" Jughead stood up, turning to face her. "Rose, the only reason we're friends is pure coincidence. You met Archie and he introduced you to me, and-"

"And now," Rosemary cut him off, stepping closer to him. "We're best friends."

"Oh please," Jughead scoffed. "If Archie never introduced us, you wouldn't even bat an eye at me."

"That's not-"

"Don't deny it," Jughead cut her off, taking a step away from her. "I mean, who are we kidding, Rose? You're a popular, happy-go-lucky girl from the Northside. You're a cheerleader and a wrestler for God's sake! Not to mention student body president, president of the art club, and the school's best photographer. I'm a homeless kid from the wrong side of the tracks that's writing a novel on a dead kid! The only time you ever talk to me is when you need someone to comfort you on your traumatic experience with Ben Newman. Oh, not to mention you suddenly become extremely jealous whenever I talk to Betty. I mean, God, Rose you won't even call me 'Juggie' because you heard Betty call me 'Juggie'. Do you realize how insane that sounds?"