37. Get Off My Land

Start bij het begin

"It's not working," he said, banging it against a rock.

"Here, use mine," I said, handing mine over.

He took the gun off me and aimed it into the trees. He let off a shot, sending some leaves and small branches fluttering to the ground.

"That's better," he said, with a wonky grin on his face.

I had to suppress a shudder. The guy really creeped me out.

"Come on," I said, beginning to walk, "I think I saw a wolf over by the stream earlier."

"Ok good," he replied, "I could do with some good target practice."

"Try not to shoot unless you have a clear shot," I said. "Too much noise and we're going to attract unwanted attention."

Kane grunted, but he knew I was right.

As we made our way through the woodland, suddenly there was a flash of grey fur, but as quickly as it appeared, it disappeared again.

"Did you see that!" Kane said excitedly.

"Yeah," I replied, "I think it went this way."

Time and time again, Kane was treated to a glimpse of a wolf, but never long enough for him to get a shot off.

Slowly we made our way through the woodland, and into an area of more open scrub land at the back of the manor.

Suddenly the wolf was there again, and this time it leapt at Kane, knocking him over, and pinning him down, his bared teeth near his throat.

I quickly ran over and booted the wolf as hard as I could, knocking it off Kane.

As Kane scrambled to his feet, the wolf changed form into a human being, right in front of us.

"Get the hell off my land," Mark growled.

"Well, well, well, what do we have here?" Kane said looking Mark up and down.

Slowly, more hunters began to appear from the woodland after hearing the commotion and having been in the area after being enticed in a similar fashion by glimpses of other wolves.

"I'll tell you all this, and I'll only tell you once," Mark shouted, addressing the crowd that was forming around him, "GET OFF MY LAND!"

Kane laughed, "Why would I take direction off a disgusting creature like you. You make me sick, standing there, acting all normal, but I know what you really are."

"What are you going on about?" Mark asked, a look of bewilderment on his face. "What do you think I am?"

"Don't play games with me," Kane spat out, "we all know what you are!"

"Then can someone here please tell me what I am?" Mark said, addressing the group that had gathered round.

"You're a werewolf," someone shouted.

Mark burst out laughing. "A werewolf? Really that's what you think I am?"

I looked across at Kane and could practically see the vein pumping on his neck. His fists were curled up tight, his jaw clenched shut. He was like a coiled spring waiting to fire.

"Gun please," Kane said, holding his hand out to me.

I passed him the gun I had picked up off the floor a few moments ago.

Kane pointed it at Mark.

"Whoa, Whoa, Whoa," Mark said holding both his hands up. "Are you crazy or something?"