1 Life that Changes in Seconds

POV Emma

Last night I didn't actually stay up waiting for my brother to come home. No, I was having a nightmare from the day of the accident. I remember it so clearly, every sight and scent before my life changed.

It all started on Sunday morning, it was Jack's 18th birthday and I and my parents wanted to surprise him. It was almost five years ago. "Happy Birthday Jack!" We all cheered when he came downstairs, rubbing dream sand from his eyes. He stretched his arms wide and gave a sly smirk, "Whoa what welcome!" He chuckled and I ran to hug him. He was taller than me, he easily lifted me up in the air by wrapping his other arm around me.

"Hey Ems! Warm hugs are the best present," he smiled and oh do I remember that smile. Now I can only feel it when he lets me touch his face. We ate some birthday cake that morning before we gave him his actual present.

(A/N: Now the style changes to like when the things actually happened. )

"Plane tickets?" Jack cocked his eyebrow and opened up the ticket envelope. Mum and dad are smiling happily. "Umm.. these are for today?" Jack gulped and looks at us. He messes up his white hair and his blue eyes twitch nervously. "Uh, I had plans for today.. Sorry but I can't come to Hawaii with you guys," Jack smiled nervously.

I look at mum and dad, they seem confused but soon dad laughs. "Sure son, you're adult already. We will enjoy the sun for you also," he winked his eye. Dad reminds me a lot of Jack. Jack has got our dads blue eyes and the pale hair, even though dad has more of yellowish blonde when Jack has silvery white. I am more of my mother's image with my brown hair and eyes.

Jack smiled to them and messed up my hair, "I will come with you next time kiddo!" He smirked and jerked his head to right. He was going to be with his friends on a camping trip, Hiccup was his closes friend though. My fault of not asking him closest friend if they had some plans together before my parents bought the tickets. Gladly they were cheap since our family was middle class, no huge income.

"Have fun," Jack waved to us while we stepped inside the taxi cab. He stuffed his hands to his pockets and closed the front door after him. The airport was buzzing with people, as busy airport it seems. I tried on some sun glasses with my mom in the tax free shop. We were having a blast, mom and I laugh so hard when I try on a pair with huge glasses. "You're like a fly," mom laughed and I giggled.

The clock moved on fast, soon it was our turn to go to plane. I look at my plane ticket and I see that I am on normal seat. "Mom," I gasped nervously and showed her the ticket. "Oh no! Sorry dear," she squeezed my shoulders. I hated flying and it makes me nervous, I don't like tight spaces. Normally I sit near the emergency exit.

I sat on the row where my place was. I glance at the empty seat next to me, I wish that Jack was here. My panic was getting out from the control when the flight lady checked out the seatbelts. "Oh, miss. Is everything alright?" The flight attendant smiled to me while she tightened my belt. "I.. I am just afraid of tight places," I gasped and swallowed the lumpy feeling.

The flight attendants mouth slightly opened and she looked 4 rows in front of me. "I think that there is a nice couple that might change seats with you," the attendant smiled and pointed forward. "Go on and ask them after liftoff," her hand touched my shoulder when she moved on. I sure will.

I squeezed the handles of the chair when the plane took off. I was almost panting because of the panic I was feeling. "Calm down Emma, calm down," I whispered to myself. When the belt light turned off I immediately stood up and walked to the couple after telling my parents that I might sit near the emergency exit like always.

"Uh.. hi.. I was wondering if we could change seats?" I look at a man with mustache and a woman who holds her hair on knot. "Hi," the man smiled. "I mean that I am afraid of flying and sitting in a place where is more room is better. My place is four rows that way, there is two seats since my brother didn't come," I smiled nervously.