Chapter 17

...To see an angry Kaliver. "We have a busy morning, we have to get to the Corr, so get to sleep." He demanded.

When Lorcan and I didn't move he added "Now." His voice was icy and terrifying, the last few days he'd been pretty terrifying.

"Is it because of the noise?" I asked, trying to figure out if his mood was because of sensory overload. "Doesn't that make an Analyzers mind break down?"

The look Kaliver gave me pierced my skin like knives stabbing into my chest, he drew a sharp breath that seemed to match the knife's sharpness. His eyes twitched with angry agitation.

Lorcan however seemed confused to the breaking point. "Wait what?" He looked around as if something was about to pop out at him.

"We need to talk." Kaliver spat at me. I whipped sweat off my forehead.

I started to follow Kaliver but Lorcan stepped in front of me. "Wait." He narrowed his eyes, glaring at Kaliver. "You mean to tell me...You are...and Experiment? We should Never Have trusted you! You could have taken us back to TESTERS to...die! I knew you were suspicious-"

"But he didn't take us back." I concluded.

He turned to me. "And...and you kept this from me? I...I would have told you anything, would have protected you from anything, this is how you pay me back?" Lorcan shouted. "Forget everything that happened just now. I didn't mean any of it. Spend your life with the experiment."

"Lorcan, I'm sorry it's just-"

"I said forget it." He spat. Lorcan turned around and walked inside.

I bit my lip. "Now come on." Kaliver said angrily. "We have a busy day tomorrow, and I don't want to have to deal with whiny kids."

I followed Kaliver into the room, and flopped down on the bed. What have I done? Maybe this mission was too hard for me. I'm just a lonely girl from the Outsrill, I wasn't meant to hold fame and glory, it's too heavy. Maybe if I retreated to Camber things would be better...I could sneak away, go back home, but...Camber hates me now anyways.

And Kaliver wouldn't allow sneaking out. He's such a light sleeper and all, he can hear everything while unconscious.

After hours of laying on the linen bed, tears rolling down my face, I decided I couldn't get to sleep. I sat up, watching Kalivers twitching eyes, making sure they didn't open. I got up and grabbed my pack, looking into it.

The contents inside shocked me.

I gropped around for Cambers letter, and among finding it, I opened it. Across the crinkled paper I could make out three words in the dark. You are next.

It was smeared across the page in a dark red liquid material. Too watery to be ink, too sticky and thick to be water. I opened the letter, and instead of finding Cambers sorrow note, there were more words in the substance. I have captured your mother, sister, father, and my friend will take care of your brother. You are mine and you are next. Just wait. I will devour you whole and intoxicate everyone you love. Your time is up, sweet Estelle.

-The Enemy of Zemira

My eyes widened in horror. Whoever this enemy was...it wanted me.

And it wanted me bad.

I started breathing at speeds unimaginable, even though it felt like I wasn't getting enough air. I stared at the letter and wiped sweat off my forehead.

"Elsie?" I heard someone say. I jumped because I was shaking terrified from the letter, a voice in the middle of the night spooked me.

Kaliver turned on a light. "What is it?" There were dark circles under his eyes.

"Nothing serious." I lied. If this 'Enemy' was taking me, at least I knew it wasn't taking my friends...but it had said something about everyone I love. I can't be open to anyone.

"Well then go bad to sleep," Kaliver said simply. He turned around and flopped on his bed.

"Yeah," I mumbled to myself. "No sweat, just go back to sleep, the 'Enemy' will totally not kill me." I sucked in a breath.

"Quiet!" Kaliver threw an unwanted pillow at me.

I sighed softly and closed my eyes, but all I could think about was this Enemy and me being devoured...

And I thought looking through my pack would help me sleep. 

Got two chapters in one day!! Tell me what you think? Sorry it's short.