Chapter 4

Looks like this is going to be a long walk. I told myself, I had packed my stuff to leave for Zemira. I hadn't even told Camber or Issi goodbye, I guess...If I never saw them again, they would still love me...right?

The Neér Forest, although as foggy, dense and terrifying as ever, was nice. I don't know exactly why, maybe it was the fact that, from a small legend, a boy had been saved from this forest. But that was a long time ago. I slipped through the forest, wearing red to protect me from the hungry wolves, it worked like two of the same parts of magnets connected to each other, pulling away. Each step I took pained me. Who knew if I was ever coming back to the small lodge that rested on the edge of the Neér forest, on the outskirts of Zemira.

Advice ran through my head. Camber's voice warm and welcoming. But I knew it was dangerous to turn back. If I decided to run back to the house, I would not only have to deal with my crazed dad, but I would also live with the guilt of not standing up for the community against the mysterious Corr

I walked for ages, until I came to a towering sand brick wall. It was at least one thousand kilometers high, and I knew that it was three meters in width. The wall bordered the whole of Zemira. It was built when America was still the country's name.

I felt my feet thud to the ground with each step. If I found the Corr in Zemira, there was a chance it could stop. Not that the Corr would ever listen to me.

When I came across a guard near the wall, wearing red, the second lowest rank of color, I halted.

"State your name and your business here." He said, standing completely still.

"My name is Elsie." If anything happened while I was in Zemira, and I didn't want Camber to know it was me. I just used the name my dad had called me. "And I've come here for school."

The guard laughed. "Show me a pass." I cursed under my breath.

"Why do I need one, I'm trying to get educated!" I argued.

"Kieran?" Said a voice from behind the green guard. When I turned around, I saw a yellow guard approaching. The yellow was the lowest rank of guards, and I was surprised to see a yellow guard calling to its superior by his real name.

"It's Lutian to you Lorcan." The red guard answered. "And don't forget that you need my permission to speak."

"Right, well um, yeah, permission granted...because you obviously talked to me." The yellow guard did have a point, the way it worked for most guards guarding Zemira, if the person of higher rank than you speaks after you call their rank name, unless their the Captain, you have permission to speak. I don't know exactly how it worked and I don't know why it worked like that. "Anyway, what are you doing with the girl? She asked to have an education, so give her one. Everyone in Zemira should have what they deserve, you don't want us to be a bad example, now do you?" The yellow guard said.

The red guard, after ages of decision and tense foot tapping, agreed. "Its alright Lorcan, but I expect you're supervising her? Since you so politely volunteered."

The yellow guard, Lorcan, bowed and took me hard by the wrist. "You're welcome." He hissed, leading me away.

——

"I really am thankful for what you said." I said while we were sitting down next to a fire for dinner. The guards had let me pass, as long as Lorcan was their with me.

Lorcan looked at me, his blue green eyes sparkling in the flames. Like water like fire. A famous saying. "Yeah, sure whatever. But, you're not actually going to school right?" He asked.

"What do you mean?" There was nobody around us but I knew Lorcan could turn his back on me in an instant. He raised an eyebrow, and I felt no use lying to hime. "Uh, I...need to speak to the Corr." I said, fidgeting with my hands.

Lorcan laughed. "First of all, it was obvious, shining in your eyes, that you weren't going to school." He sighed. "I'd thought I'd test my powers." He layered on a sly smile as he flexed his fingers. "And second, the Corr area, the place she is the most, is opposite of the school." I now had no idea what to do. I thought I could just sneak out of school, while the guard left, and talk to...it. I guess not. "Fear not." Lorcan said, smiling, standing up off the wood bench. We had barely made it into Zemira, but we were in. "For I have an ingenious plan. But there's a cost." He smiled. "What is your name little...thing?"

I laughed. "First of all, I'm not a thing, okay?"

"Right right sorry, then what are you? You're not Zemiran." Lorcan noted.

"I'm from the OutSril, the outskirts of Zemira."

"Oh, rural in that area am I right?"

I nudged Lorcan softly. "Shut up and let me speak will you?"

"Never."

I stared into the fire. "My name is Estelle, but...please, call me Elsie."

"Elsie? Is...is that a nickname?"

"I guess." I hesitated. "My dad called me that when he got crazy."

"You're dad went crazy?" Lorcan asked. It was like he knew me, and I hated it.

"Yes." I said back, agitated. I didn't want to talk about how my dad went crazy, it made me miss him-them, even more. I had only been gone for twelve hours, but it was no doubt they were panicking, wondering what happened. "I just don't want to talk."

"I understand, but one day I'll get those secrets out of you." Lorcan snickered.

I didn't want my secrets to come out...

"One way or another, Whether I kill you, or I kiss you."

Just a short little chapter, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!!