Chapter 1

The way the water glowed under the moonlight made the scent of sorrow thick. It was a mournful day for my family, we had lost our mother due to the virus that now loomed over our family like a roof. Dressed in somber black, we proceeded to her small grave. Living out of Zemira, there wasn't much money we could earn, but a Jaski, a preacher, had offered us enough money for my mother's gravestone.

Kneeling down, my father hummed a small prayer, I could only make out the words: sy descu teaami. You're safe now. Memories of her, my younger sister, older brother and father swarmed my vision, leaving tears under my eyes when the memories faded from my mind. We were a family, then the virus ruined it.

I wasn't as sad as I was mad, all the while we were at the gravestone I kept wondering why the virus existed. Why couldn't those scientists just leave the primates alone. All the trouble they caused, to themselves, their family, their subdivision, their village, Zemira, and even outside of the walls. Why did this happen to us.

We're already bad enough and now the world wants to pick on us more.

After the funeral, we were all just seperated, torn away by isolation. My sister Issi, light brown hair in a messy bun, was always down by the lake, she sat on the wooden planked dock and waited for tears to form a ripple in the water. My brother Camber, his hair swinging down his face like ropes, head down, walked lonely through the Neér Forest, pondering on how to take care of his two younger sisters and one depressed father. My father wasn't talking, he wouldn't even come out of his locked room. Whenever one of us tried to get him, he wouldn't respond. Camber kept saying it was going to be okay, but I knew the virus had separated us, forever.

I just looked out my window, sitting on the sill, hoping for a new life, a new beginning, at least a new friend. I would hope until my cheeks were wet, hope until tears trickled slowly down my face, hope until Camber come got me. "Come on Estelle," He would say. "Dinner." I'd be hesitant to walk out, but I always would. I didn't want Camber to deal with the trouble of getting me out of the room, he's already got that problem with dad. I try to be helpful, to carry out plates stocked with food, to help get Issi ready for bed, even though she's only four years younger than my fourteen year old self. I try to smile and tell her everything is going to be okay, but it seems like she smells the lies that are steaming off me, and she doesn't want them.

Today's dinner was no different. "Es?" Camber said, knocking on my door before he came in. I snapped my gaze toward him, sticking on a fake small smile. His green eyes sparkled, it would hurt father to look at them, those were moms eyes. "Can you get dad?"

I nodded and got off my seat on the window sill. Walking down the dim lit hallway, with many haunting doors on each side. I walked to the end, where my fathers room was, and I knocked on the door. The only reply was a choked up: Next week. I sighed. I didn't want to argue with my father, and I knew he would only come out for meals once a week, I walked away, the floor creaking beneath me. "He said he'll eat next week." I said, sighing. I helped Camber set up the plates for him, Issi and I. We had old wrinkled green beans, and small bits of chicken, which we owned and slaughtered. I didn't complain, but I hated this old food, and wanted to have more good food, I knew Camber had too much to deal with though, so I didn't complain, I just sat there and quietly nibbled on a green bean with the juice sucked out of it.

"Can we have dessert?" Issi begged, eyes sparkling.

Camber and I exchanged weary glances, then Camber got up. "Sure, but we don't have a lot of sweets Issi, what do you want?"

"Cake!" Issi clapped her hands excitedly.

Camber sucked in a breath. "Is I don't think we have the ingredients to make cake, how about..." Camber hesitated, looking through the fridge, which didn't have any cold substance in it. "Neclac chocolate?"

Issi bounced up and down in her seat, yelling: Yes! Yes!

"Okay Is, calm down, I'm getting it." Camber laughed. He looked at me. "Do you want any Estelle?" He asked, snapping the thick brown chocolate in half.

"I'm good, give some to Is, some to yourself, and save the rest."

Camber nodded and walked back to the table, setting a third of the chocolate bar in front of Issi. "Can you tell me the story again?" She asked, beaming, picking up her chocolate.

Camber smiled softly. "Sure. The story of the Neclac chocolate." He mimed opening a book, and Issi laughed. "The Neclac chocolate comes from the Neclac trees in the Neér Forest. It is said that a long time ago, in the years of America," The name of the country before it was split up, we haven't heard that name in years. Issi gasped, smiling. "A boy wandered into this forest alone. His hope was to find a way to bring food back to his starving family, he was a young boy though, only eleven, and the risks of getting lost in the woods were blasting through the roofs. The boy promised himself he wouldn't get lost, and promised his family he wouldn't return without food. He set out, just walking, not paying attention to where he was going, when a pack of wolves showed up. The wolves were able to communicate with the boy, telling him directions to the foods they found most helpful in the forest. The boy, being arrogant and laid back, didn't listen to the directions too well. When the wolves passed, the boy kept walking. When there was a crossroad, the boy simply picked one direction, the wolves instructions didn't make its way into the processing of the boys head. When the path lead him to a group of pixies, they warned him about what was ahead, a dragon with wings as hot as the sun. The boy was terrified. 'Well how do I get away from it?' He asked" Camber's impression of the boy was high pitched and funny. "'You must seek the glowing Neclac tree, the tree can save you,' One of the fairies said. 'A tree?' Responded the boy. 'How will a tree help?' "just seek it.' Another fairy answered. 'You will see.' The boy furrowed his brow in deeper confusion. 'How will I know?' 'You will feel it.' a third fairy answered. The boy kept walking, now going the opposite direction, trying to find the tree that supposedly could help him. He kept walking until a glowing tree blinded the boy. 'Is this it?' He yelled, the tree only grew brighter, and no answer came. Take some of my chocolate. Some voice inside him said. It will grant you everlasting happiness and you will be found when you are lost. The boy took a seed from the tree and ate it."

"They say the creaminess is supposed to symbolize the trees care, and the small bitterness is to symbolize the boys' arrogance." I finished.

"Wow!" Issi looked at me and Camber wide-eyed. "Again again!"

"No Is, I think it's time for you to go to bed,"

"Awww," She complained, dragging herself to her room. "Es?" I looked at Issi. "Can you read me another fairy tale?"

I looked at Camber, who shrugged. "Sure," I said, turning back to her.

Yup, the chapter are gonna be pretty long.