Chapter 10 - Stuff

There were six cars jammed into my mother and father’s driveway. It was an average sized home with three bedrooms and two baths, not counting the living spaces or kitchen, so there would be adequate space in which to accommodate the passing relatives. It didn’t seem to matter that there were other rooms that would barely be touched today, because we would all be cramped in the living room, kitchen, and dining areas while we talked, danced, and ate.

I helped Stella out of the car and let myself inside my parents’ home, for the front door was most definitely unlocked. And we were greeted with hoots of laughter and merry conversation, that all seemed to buzz over into oblivion when our presences were noted. I smiled, slightly uncomfortable but unmistakably amused, and Stella tugged on my hand. 

I looked down at her, catching the secretive gleam in her eyes with experience. It was almost innate, my response, and I bent down to give her my ear.

“They’re looking at us,” she whispered, but once again, it was hardly a whisper. And our family did their best to stifle their laughter, reducing the snorts of mirth to quiet chuckles.

It was a chorus of family talk, and I was smiling as I held Stella’s hand and hugged her to me, giving her comfort as we dealt with the family bunter I was so familiar with, and she was only now getting to know. 

The talking was melodic, ringing in voices I had grown up with; my, she’s as pretty as a peach, how she’s grown since the last I saw her, what a resemblance!

“Come on, Stell. Let’s introduce you. Then you can go off to play with Elise,” I told her quietly. She nodded shyly, looking around her in observation. In her other hand, dangled her doll, and she held onto it for added comfort. 

I walked her to an aunt, her green eyes sparkling and her brown bob moving with her glee. She smiled warmly at Stella, and I introduced her, “This is aunt Maeve, and her husband, uncle Caleb.”

“Pleased to meet you, Stella. You’re so grown and lovely. Isn’t she, dear?” Aunt Maeve asked her husband.

The man’s blue eyes smiled. “A pretty lass, she is. Why, Tessa, the resemblance is canny.”

I shot him a smile, and with Stella’s hand tucked warmly in mine, I introduced her to the rest of the family. We were at the last cooing relative when my mother bounced into vision, wearing an apron while carrying a bowl whose contents she was mixing vigorously. Colcannon, I supposed, and started to walk to her. 

“I’m so glad you’re here. I’ve been helping Jillie with the Shepherd’s pie and Ron with the bread. Don’t go into the kitchen if you don't want a stomach rumble. I tell you, it smells mighty fine in there- Stella, honey, you look absolutely adorable in that outfit! Oh, I need to refill the tray of biscuits.”

“Hello to you, too, mom.” I gave her a look, expertly hiding my amusement at her babbling. I let go of Stella’s hand and she walked happily to my mother, planting a sweet kiss on her cheek.

“Sweetie, come here,” she cupped my face with her free hand and kissed my nose, “Don’t be jealous.”

I laughed, shaking my head with good humor. “I’ll try, ma. Stella, let’s go say hi to Aunt Jillian and her husband.” 

“Okay,” she said, coming quickly to grab my hand. 

We went into the kitchen, and as warned, my stomach began to rumble in yearning. 

“Ah, Aunt Jillie, you can’t do this to me.” I was very near to tears.

The said woman turned around, spatula in hand, and shot us a hearty grin. Ron turned and did the same.