13.

TWO MONTHS LATER•

Logan POV-

I take a deep breath, shaking out my hands before I knock once, then twice, on the apartment door.

I hear faint footsteps for a moment before the door clicks open and there stands Odette. She hasn't changed much, but she looks down on me as if she's grown two heads taller since we split.

"What do you want, Logan?" She sneers. I never thought I'd feel this low. But, it's what I deserve, I guess, after what I did to Jess and how I hurt Rory.

"I-uh," I stammer, scratching the back of my neck. My face suddenly feels hot, even though it's freezing in this hallway. Odette cocks an eyebrow, awaiting my answer.

"I came here to apologize," I say, trying my hardest to look her in the eyes.

She huffs. "I think it's a little too late for that, don't you think?" She reaches for something in her pocket and gives it to me. Her engagement ring. "Here. I thought you might want it back."

Despite my hand closing in on it, I shake my head. "No, it's okay. You keep it."

"Nope," She says, crossing her arms over her chest. "It looks expensive, and I don't think you want to know what I've been tempted to do with it. I was waiting for you to come back. I was just starting to give up hope." She has a smile of amusement on her face. I don't blame her. I'd hate myself, too. In fact, I think everyone hates me now.

I scratch the back of my neck. "Uh, thanks."

"You should give it to Rory," She continues, staring at me as if I'm the scum of the earth. I suppose I am, now.

I shake my head. "I don't think she'd take it now."

I hear a huff of laugher come from Odette. "Logan, Logan. You really screwed things up, didn't you?"

I stare up at her. She's no longer laughing. Now she's got a sort of sad look on her face. It's hard to tell whether she's mocking me or being sincere.

I slump against the wall of her doorway, leaving her standing in the hallway as I sink to my knees.

I feel tears rising to my eyes but I use every muscle in my body to try to suppress it. What's sad is that I'm sitting in Odette's apartment hallway, spilling my sob story to her. What would be even sadder is if I cried.

"I just really want to make things right," I admit out loud.

Odette sighs. "Get up."

I draw my eyebrows together and stare up at her. "Excuse me?"

"Get. Up."

So I do, mostly because I'm a little scared of her right now.

She puts her hands on my shoulders and looks me straight in the eyes. "Logan. Listen to me. We are over. That you can't fix." I try to ignore the tug in my stomach as she says it. "But it's not too late for Rory. She really loves you, I can tell. But you've really messed things up with her."

"So how do I get her back?" I ask. Odette's a woman too. She would know better than me how to get Rory to forgive me.

"You do what she wouldn't expect. Be the person you weren't in the past. She'll be so surprised she'll have to at least consider taking you back," Odette concludes.

"You sure?" I'm scared that, me being me, I'll screw it up even more.

She nods reassuringly. "It's what I would want. And I'm sure Rory would be at least impressed with you. It's worth a shot, anyway."

I try to give her a small smile. "Thanks. Really."

She squeezes my shoulder. "Oh, Logan. We weren't strong enough for our relationship to take a hit like that. But I am trying to become a better, nicer person. I want to see you happy." She frowns. "Well, I really want to see Rory happy. And I know she'll be happier with you."

Out of nowhere, I throw my arms around her to give her a hug. "Thanks," I mutter against her cheek.

"I won't forget you, Logan," She says, pulling away. "I hope things work out between you and Rory. Be there for your kid, alright?"

I nod, wiping away a tear that absently fell down my cheek. "I will, I promise."

"No," She says, shaking her head. "Don't promise me. Promise her."

________________________________

I shake out my hands before bringing my fist up to the door that belongs to the Gilmore's. I've been trying to better myself. That started with apologizing to Odette, then regaining my father's forgiveness while I was still in London.

Now I'm here, exactly a week since I talked to Odette and she gave me her advice. I just hope it works. I hope Rory sees who I'm trying so desperately to be.

I take a deep breath, knocking four times on the front door. The seconds that follow before the door opens feel like hours.

The door opens, and it's not Rory I see. Nor is it Lorelei or Luke. I'm surprised it's not even Laine.

"Logan, right?" He says, addressing me with a cold edge to his voice. "It seems like every time I see or hear about you, it involves you having sex with my daughter.

"Mr. Hayden," I say. "It's nice to see you again." I'm lying. I couldn't be more uncomfortable.

"Yeah, sure." Christopher beckons me inside. "I think you and I should sit and have a talk. With Rory."

"Oh boy," I mutter under my breath.

It still hasn't sunk in how much I've gotten myself into until I see her face. And then she's all I can think about.

I don't even realize that I've said her name out loud until she looks up.

"Rory."

I cannot believe it's been almost two months since I've updated this story.

I'm so incredibly sorry. I really underestimated how busy I would be once my classes started up again.

When I say that I had no time to write this past month, I mean it. I have not had a second of time alone dedicated to writing in a long long time.

Song is Bandito, by Twenty One Pilots. I thought it fit the overall feel of this chapter.

Also.. do you want the baby to be a boy or a girl? That will be announced in the next chapter. Comment baby names!

I really hope to update again soon, and I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Don't forget to vote and comment!

♥️