4.

Rory POV-

I wake the next morning to find my mother rushing around the kitchen, the phone presses to her ear.

"Yeah, I understand you're far away, but this important!" She yells, pouring what seems to be her third cup of coffee.

She hangs up the phone and looks over at me. "Rory, I'm glad you're awake," She says, sounding out of breath. "I've rounded up the guest list, now I just have to take care of some minor details."

I sit down at the kitchen table. "Just you? Shouldn't I help?" I love my mother, but when she gets into her crazy party planning mode, there's no stopping her.

She shakes her head quickly. "Oh of course not. I've got it all covered."

I frown. "Are you sure? What about Luke?"

As if on command, Luke enters from the back door, bags of food in his hands. "I've got the catering covered. Hopefully people aren't tired of diner food."

I smile. "Luke, that's so sweet of you to help." I feel my eyes start to tear up but I wipe them away. Why the hell am I crying?

"Not a problem." Her jerks a finger toward my mom. "She forced me, however."

I glare at her. "Don't force Luke to help, I can do that."

She shakes her head again, picking up the phone. "Sweetie, just leave. Wait for me to call you back home."

I sigh. I don't need a big celebration, especially one that I don't help take part in. "But-" I protest.

"Out!" She says, pointing to the door. "Oh, hey, Ms Patty! How's fall dance season coming along?"

I drown out the rest of their conversation, grabbing myself a muffin from one of the food bags. "Bye, Luke!" I wave before heading out the door, away from my crazy mother.

I don't make it far in the town square before I run into Jess.

At first, I don't realize that it's him. I just mumble sorry under my breath and lower my head. But then he says my name and i have to look up. I know his voice from years of seeing him at the dinner, talking to him about books, yelling at him and laughing with him.

My face lights up. "Jess! I heard you're moving into Luke's apartment in the diner."

He nods, a faint smile on his face. "I guess I really can't escape Stars Hollow, huh?"

I return his smile. "Well, I'm really happy you're moving back, but what about your bookstore?" I remember visiting it a while back. He seemed so happy there.

He shrugs. "My friend's going to take over, but I'm always thinking about starting another one here. You looking for a job?"

My cheeks turn red. The topic of my pregnancy is going to present itself soon anyway, why not get it over with. "Yeah, I love the newspaper, but it doesn't pay anything, and with everything going on, I'd rather get a job that pays," I say, leaving a smooth transition from job talk to the big question.

"Everything going on?" He looks puzzled for a second, but then has a realization. "Oh! Your mother told me this morning. Congratulations, Rory." He smiles, and surprisingly, I don't see an ounce of jealousy in his eyes.

"Thank you, but it's not that simple," I say truthfully, my cheeks burning red. I never thought that I'd be having this conversation with Jess.

"Who's the father? Dean?" He asks.

I quickly shake my head. "No, definitely not Dean." I clear my throat. "It's um, Logan's. Logan Huntzberger."

"Oh," He says. "Well, I'm happy for you." His smile seems genuine. I believe it. Our relationship was so far in the past.