Chapter Seven: Picture Perfect

Gazing at myself in the mirror I turn off the water faucet. I begin to open the mirror cabinet and take my medications and head downstairs. As I'm making my way to the kitchen I can already see Daniel watching his favorite show while eating cereal.

"Good morning sweetheart."

"Morning, I'm happy to see you up and about. Did you eat?"

"Yes, I ate sweetie. Look at you worried about if I ate when you just woke up and haven't eaten anything yet. Sometimes I wonder who's the child in the situation."

"I can't help it. How are you feeling? I'm guessing better if you're out of bed. You still look a little pale but.."

"Okay worrywart that enough has some breakfast." She says as she pours me a glass of orange juice. I grab a bowl and prepare myself a bowl of cereal and put it on the counter.

"Are you going somewhere today?" I say as I walk to the front door and open it.

"My you've been asking a lot of questions this morning." I can hear my mom say.

"I'm a curious girl," I reply as I pick up the newspaper and bring in the mail closing the door behind me as I go through them. Seems like the medical bills arrived, the utility bills, and no letter from my Dad.

I hand the newspaper to mom as I make my way over to the counter and begin opening the mails. I seriously don't know how we're going to pay for these.

"Any letters from your Father?

"Nope, not since he's told me I'll be serving the king at his castle..." I respond as I let out a sigh.

"I've tried to go to see the king talk about the exchange your father did but he refused to negotiate. I can't believe he has the nerve to just give our daughter away like it's nothing."

"Mum it's okay... I'm not really surprised, we both know Dad... never mind let's not talk about this it's not important."

"What's wrong?" She asked making her way towards me.

"The medical bill and the utility arrived," I answer as I begin stuffing my face with cinnamon crunch.

"How much?" She asked looking worried. I don't want her to worry it'll only be worse for her health but we can't pay this amount of money.

"Don't worry about it. I'll handle it."

"But-"

"Mum I got it. Trust me. I'll figure it out a way to pay the bills. The medical bill will take me some time but I'll clear everything. You have nothing to worry about."

"Sweetie it's not your job to take care of us and to worry about me."

"You're my mom I'm gonna worry and care about taking care of you, Danny, and the baby no matter what you say or regardless of what happens. Also, it's Dad's job to take care of us but since he's not here I'm in charge to take care of us, it's my job."

"Sweetheart..."

"It's not up for discussion Mom, I'm doing this for us and there is nothing you can say that's going to stop me. If you're so worried about helping get better okay? Take care of yourself so that way I won't worry so much." She just seems to be staring at me, I don't think I've convinced her but it seems to have eased her mind a bit.

"I'm going to the post office. Nana called last night saying that she packed a package for us and that it should be arriving today. I'm gonna go check it should've arrived by now."

"Okay, Mom."

"Be sure to watch your brother while I'm gone."

"Always, be safe on your way there okay? I love you."