A Meeting With The Past (14)

Dinner was eaten in an awkward silence as I worried over my friend. Gabriel had stayed with me by the front door while everyone cleaned up.

"She'll be fine Sam." I paced the corridor. "I haven't known her for as long as you have, but I know she's stronger than you think." That's when the door opened and Charlie came in, clearly confused.

"Okay... And how is this his house?" She spotted me and ran over. "Sam! Are you okay?"

"I should be the one asking you that."

"I'm fine. You dad was pretty drunk." I heard Gabriel curse and I looked over Charlie's shoulder. He looked stressed. "Sam?" I turn my attention back to her.

"Yeah? Sorry."

"I asked if he did anything to you." I bit the inside of my cheek.

"Um... No." She crossed her arms.

"You're a horrible liar."

"He really didn't do anything to me, but Dean..." I shifted my feet.

"We need to do something about him Sam. I can't see you guys go through this and I definitely won't let him do that to you again."

"Char-" She raised her hand up.

"No, I don't want to hear it. We are calling the police." My eyes widened and I shook my head, backing away from her.

"N-No y-you can't! He-He'll-" The memories that I had long since pushed away resurfaced, shrouding my mind in a blanket of fear. I felt hot tears stream down my face and my throat began to hurt. I was starting to have a major panic attack. Soon enough, it became increasingly hard to breathe and stand. I heard someone call my name, but I couldn't tell who it was until cool hands met my burning cheeks and the familiar scent of paper and sugar.

"Sam, listen to me. I need you to calm down, okay. Can you do that for me?" I grabbed his hands and squeezed them hard. "It's okay. It's okay Sammy. I've got you." I felt him pull me into a hug. "I'm not going to leave you again." He muttered into my hair. "Everything is going to be alright..."

I'm not sure how long we stayed like that, but eventually I started to fall asleep. "Gabriel."

"I think you need to send in those papers now. Also, before school once I drop him off, I'll go get the adoption papers."

"Gabriel."

"I'll go ahead and-"

"Gabriel!" He stops spilling word vomit and looks up at his father. "You need to calm down. Everything is being taken care of." He let out a small oh. "Go take him upstairs." I felt him pick me up and start walking.

"I'm coming with you." It was quiet as they walked. "How long have you known?"

"Long enough."

"I don't get it. Why do you care about him so much? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but..." Gabriel sighed.

"I'm surprised you don't remember. You do have a great memory." I could basically feel her frowning.

"What are you talking about?" He chuckled and stopped at the top of the stairs.

"Do you not remember the sand that got down your shirt when you were rough housing with Balthazar at the beach while everyone just laughed at you two? Or the time when you asked me why I had so many siblings or why I ate so much candy?" He continued walking to my room and eventually set me down on my bed.

"What are you even talking about Gabriel?"

"Awe come on Char! You really don't remember kindergarten or first grade?"

"Of cour-" She stopped in mid sentence. "I thought you moved!" She punched him on the arm. "I could've sworn I saw that weird face somewhere!"

"I went to private school."

"Why? Do you realise how broken Sam was when you left? He refused to eat any kind of sweets I gave him."

"I know."

"You knew yet you still stayed away. And now you show up, 10 years later in the worst moment of his life. Could you be anymore late?"

"Look, I tried to-"

"No. I don't want your excuses. Go be his Knight in shining armour, but not literally." They laughed a bit before it died down to a gloomy silence. "Do you think you can stop him?"

"I will do everything in my power to make sure Sam is safe. If that means murder, then I'll do it."

"Aren't you being a little too serious about this?"

"No. Murder is a rational thought."

"I don't think I want to know your irrational thoughts..." Her phone dinged. "Crap. I've got to go. My mom is wondering where I am." I heard her walk towards the door. "I'm going to need a whole bunch of sappy romance movies to bring my spirits back up... Oh and Gabriel."

"Yes?"

"Don't leave him again." She left and he sighed.

"I won't. I can't keep running anymore."

~~

I woke up to somebody lightly shaking me awake. "Sam..." I opened my eyes and rolled over to face Gabriel.

"Gabe... What time is it?"

"Three am. Come on I've got something I want to show you." I sit up groggily and run my hands through my hair.

"Why at three? Sleep is important you know..."

"Nah. Hurry up." I finally got up and followed him downstairs and outside.

"Why are we-"

"Just follow me." We walked out into a large field and Gabriel sits down in the middle of it on a large blanket. He patted the spot next to him and I sat down. "I need to talk to you about some stuff."

"I know." He turned to me and frowned.

"Huh?"

"I heard you and Charlie talking last night. I'm going to be completely honest and say that I don't remember. I don't remember you at all." I smiled a bit. "But that doesn't matter. I can always make new, better memories with you by my side."

"I guess your right. We can make new memories, can't we." He lied down on his back with his hands behind his head.  "What do you think we stay out here until the sun rises."

"The sun isn't going to rise until like, seven thirty."

"I know. It's just nice to see the stars and lightning bugs every now and then." I hum and lie down next to him, looking up at the stars. We lie in comfortable silence and I listen to his faint breathing as my eyes droop from sleep.

"Gabe."

"Hm?"

"Thank you."

"For what? I didn't do anything."

"For everything. For you."

Good god I'm so sorry it took me so long to update. School started and I'm not allowed to use my phone in any but 3 of my classes and it's a pain. I promise I won't be late next time. Also, I'm thinking of moving my schedule to just Wednesday just because I'm a Sophomore (10th grade) now and I'm really trying to improve on my grades this year and bring up my GPA. I will still write this, but you'll just get and update every Wednesday instead of both Sunday and Wednesday.