🔪Chapter 1: Aurora (UPDATED)

Start from the beginning

"It's okay. " And I noticed he doesn't have his seatbelt on. "Oh and your... seatbelt. " I said as I fastened his seatbelt.

"Okay, you two. You ready to go?" Mom asked as she adjusted the rear mirror.

"Yes, Mom. " I said, securing my seatbelt.

Then she started the car engine and drives off, on our way to school.

__

Finally, we've arrived.

Richwood School.

It's actually a huge school. The building on the right is the elementary school and the building on the left is the high school.

Mom stopped the car and I unbuckle my seatbelt and then I help Toby with his seatbelt. I grab my backpack and I get off the car.

"Come on Toby. " I said as I help him getting off the car.

"We'll see you later Mom. " I said.

"Have a great day at school my darlings, I love you." She said.

"Bye, Mommy!" Toby waved and Mom blows him a kiss.

"Bye, Mom, love you too. " Then I close the car door and she starts driving, on her way to work.

"Come on goofball, I'll take you to your classroom. " I said and we head off to the elementary building.

__

A few minutes later, we arrived at his classroom.

"Okay, here's your lunchbox. Now, listen very carefully to your teachers and don't pick up any fights with your classmates, understand?" I said to him.

"Okay. You'll pick me up after school right? "

"Always. I'll see you later. " I place a kiss on his forehead and head off to the high school building.

On my way to the entrance of the high school building, I push one of the doors open and let myself in and immediately got greeted by  familiar faces and loud voices everywhere in the building.

"Hey, Aurora!" I turn around and I smiled as soon as I look at my two best friends walking towards me.

My two best friends - Heather Morgan, and Edward Brown. Actually, they're more like my childhood friends since we know each other for a long time and we're actually neighbors.

Heather has auburn hair, green eyes, and has some dusty freckles on her face, which makes her stand out. She hates her freckles but I love her freckles, since that's one of the things that made her stand out even more. 

She kept on having doubts about that but I still tell her that whenever she mentions her freckles. She's a bit hot-headed, stubborn and can be sarcastic from time to time. And sometimes, we call her "Heather Feather " which is her nickname that Eddie and I gave her since the second grade, just because it rhymes with her name.

And there's Edward. Edward has dark brown hair and he has the most striking hazel eyes that I've ever seen and he would get a lot of compliments. I like calling him Eddie more than calling him, Edward. And whenever his parents are on business trips for a week or two, we would sleepovers at his place and watch movies or play board games.

 He's smart, kind and gentle and I don't think he can even hurt a fly. A lot of girls have a crush on him and he would get a lot of gifts on Valentine's Day  almost every year but he's not interested in any of them and whenever someone confesses their feeling for him, he would politely turn them down. Even some guys want to ask him out. But everyone knows he's straight and he said he's still waiting for the right girl. 

"Hey, how are you guys doing?" I asked them as we start walking together.

"Mom confiscated my laptop and my phone again..." Heather groaned.

"What did you do this time? " I asked.

"She did a small prank on her brother for the third time this week," Eddie answered.

"It was just a small prank but he started it in the first place, and what? No laptop and phone and TV for a week!" Heather said as she scratches the back of her head.

"At least it's only for a week and you still have a phone. " Edward said.

"Yeah but it's a flip phone, I didn't know that they still exist and function until now. And it's only for text messaging and calling. " She pulls the flip phone she mentioned from her bag and show it to us.

I shake my head and I look at the surroundings of the hallways. Crowded as always. We have the typical students like in every high school movie ever.

The athletes. The nerds and geeks. The theatre kids. The bullies. The emo kids and goth kids. The fashionistas. The hipsters. The outcasts. People who are part of different clubs such as the school newspaper club, book club, etc. People who are part of the LGBTQ+ Community. And of course... the popular and mean kids.

Same old stuff and same old routine.

The walls are painted white and black. And then the lockers are color grey. It gives off a sad vibe somehow... otherwise, it shows the reality of high school.

Which is a living hell. Or even prison.

Do you expect your parents to believe that if you say those things to their faces? Apparently not.

And they would say that school is not that bad. Which is partly true.

We approached our assigned lockers and I grab my stuff that I need for my classes.

"What classes do we have again? " Heather asked.

"Science, Algebra, and Spanish," I said, grabbing my Spanish book and dictionary.

"Ugh... I fucking hate Algebra." Heather said as she closes her locker door.

"I think it's pretty easy. " Eddie said.

"Of course, it's easy for you Eddie. You are a smartass after all." Heather rolled her eyes.

"I just study hard, that's all." Eddie said. "You do know I kept on offering to tutor you but you kept on refusing the offer."

"I can handle it. I just need to study harder. Oh, please spare me some tips, dear kind Eddie." Heather begged playfully.

Eddie just shakes his head, smiling.

'RIIING!'

The bell rang and I closed my locker door. "Come on, let's get to class. We don't want to make Miss Barbara mad."

"Yeah and let's hope that Billy Keller will be on time for her class this time. You know Miss Barbara doesn't like tardiness." Heather said. "Right before the second bell, she would already be in the classroom with the attendance sheet on her clipboard, staring at you with that devil glare."

"Let's just go guys." Eddie said then we head off to class.

Edited on: 09/20/2021

Updated on: 05/10/2023