6.1 | An Empty Trance |

Golden light sweeps over the horizon, outlining faint mountains behind us in the far distance. The warmth is beautiful, colors blurring together in a gentle painting of orange and purple.

We're soon to be covered in a shroud of bright light, pushing out all the sinking smoke and creating the perfect visibility for what I know is to come in just a few miles. The swish of cold water is closer now, I don't have to focus to hear it and my senses are still mildly preoccupied. In the last couple of hours alone I've diligently monitored and made sure the humans beside me don't fall asleep.

Remi rests comfortably on my shoulder, eyes barely peeking open to keep away from large branches that could trip her. Her skin is slowly glistening with sweat again, giving it a slightly marbled look I couldn't see before. Mixed ethnicities, though of what I'm not entirely sure.

Of the two men, Theron concerns me the most. He continues to veer off to the side with heavy eyelids and trips over bare ground on occasion. Even while it's still dark, there is nothing more fascinating to me than his stubbornness.

Daniel, however, appears unfazed. His stride never changed and though I cannot catch a glimpse of his eyes, I know they are focused on the path before him. Empty land is all that awaits us before the coast and while I used to keep our pace up, over the hours' energy has fallen significantly.

Stepping onto and beginning to follow a highway, I notice Remi's eyes shut completely and mindfully guide her around several potholes. Before long we come upon a gaping crack in the ground that the boys hardly manage to clear by jumping. At least five feet across, it's deeper than vision can follow in this dim light.

Gently swinging downwards, I scoop Remi up into my arms and adjust her slowly. She whines a little, coming to reality with a few blinks.

"Can you trust me, Remi?" I ask, a cold but soft voice tempering my mood.

She looks over my shoulder at the chasm and tenses, fingers digging into my shoulder and curling into me. Her entire body clings to me.

"Mhm..."

Taking a deep breath, I brace myself and look at her. "Close your eyes and rest into me, I don't want to scare you."

Remi nods, pushing her face into my neck and wrapping her arms around my shoulders.

I kneel down into a partial lunge when I'm sure she's secure in my arms. Pushing down against the earth, I shove off and throw us into the air. We overshoot my landing goal by twenty feet, touching down several yards away from the boys. Remi squeaked a little in the air, but instead of moving to look she hides further with her nose tucked into my jacket.

I turn around to see two parted mouths. Daniel still appears less expressive, but I have to wonder if Theron thinks he just hallucinated something.

They start jogging over to catch up.

"Was that entirely necessary?" Dan teases, looking us over with a playful stare.