Chapter 21: Donut Therapy

Chapter 21

I'd been on an hour-long conference call and we hadn't gotten through even half of the agenda yet. If it wasn't Donny and James debating about every tiny detail that they didn't agree on, then it was Paul who was bringing up news of the expansion, which hadn't even been on the agenda to start with. I was frustrated to say the least.

"I don't have time to go to Chicago in the near future." I said to the men on the line. "I have too much to do here."

"Well there's no rush to expand. We'll keep searching until we find what we're looking for. James and I are thinking of going out next week, so we'll make some calls and visit a few of the sites while we're there." Paul was saying.

"What are your thoughts on the Offer Circular?" Donny finally chimed in. "We still haven't discussed that and the deadline is approaching."

"Selling for less than the last trading price is ridiculous." I said. "There's no way the shareholders will budge."

"And if you're wrong and they sell, then what? Once they get the company they're planning to delist from the stock exchange. Our shares will be useless in a private company." Donny said.

"The fact that they've already given an extension is a good indication that not many people are taking up the offer." I countered. "We just have to decide whether we're willing to risk it."

I glanced up when the door to my study slowly swung open and Cam poked his head in. He never interrupted me while I was in here. I waved him in, and he stepped in with his phone held out in front of him like it was contagious. His mouth was set in a miserable frown and his eyes were red as though he had been rubbing them.

There was a quiet echo coming from somewhere in the room and it took me a second to realize that it was coming from the phone he held. I gestured for him to come closer, and when he was standing on the other side of the desk he held the phone out to me.

"Or we hash it out in court. I don't like their tactics. "James was saying. "They're—"

"Gentlemen." I said, and James paused. "Something just came up. I'll have to call you back."

I ended the call and took the phone from Cam with a frown. When it was only halfway to my ear, I could easily hear the words of the female speaker (or shouter in this case).

"...can't do this to him. You're about to ruin a good man's life and for what?" I listened to her rambling. "Leo is a good man and just because he rejected you, it doesn't give you the right to make these accusations. Just move on and tell everyone the truth because he—"

"Who is this?" I interrupted, and the woman on the line sputtered and went silent.

"I hope you realize that this is harassment and that in itself is actionable." I told her. "We wouldn't want to get the police involved more than they already are."

"Well you tell Cameron that—"

"Listen to me carefully," I began. "I'm not a patient man and I have no interest in listening to your story, so do us both a favor and lose this number." I finished and almost immediately the line went dead.

I glanced at the number on the screen; grabbed a pen and jotted it down on the corner of my note pad, before handing the phone back to Cam. He looked distraught, and was clearly on the verge of tears, but I could see that he was fighting to hold them at bay.

"Who is she?" I asked. He swallowed hard and took a few deep breaths before speaking.

"She said she's Leo's sister. She's very upset." He explained.