Callas:
Yeah, I don't really know when that happened, I guess the day when we went to visit you in hospital.

Henry:
That's weird. Anyway, I have to go, Dad made lasaganagana??

Callas let out a short laugh and quickly covered her mouth, glancing up at Emily and Embry, who had turned to look at her before they went back to what they were doing originally.

Callas:
Lasagne?

Henry:
Yeah, let's just forget my spelling.

Callas:
That wasn't a spelling, that was you casting a spell while having a stroke.

Henry:
Don't do me like that, Cally.

Callas:
I will talk to you later. Enjoy your lasaganagana.

Henry:
... I will.

When Callas put her phone down on the coffee table, Embry poked his head out from around the corner of the kitchen. He smiled over at her and she couldn't help but smile back. Embry said something to Emily, to which she nodded at, and he walked over to Callas, drying his hands on a towel, that he dropped on the coffee table, before he sat down on the floor in front of her. He looked over at Zeus, who was snoring quietly, before he looked over at her with a smile. Callas wondered if he was able to hear the others on patrol and if they had found anything, but she didn't really want to ask, maybe it was better if she didn't. He would have told her if something happened, or maybe he wouldn't, but he would have to tell her at some point.

"You doing okay?" Embry asked quietly, gently patting Zeus's fur.

"I guess. I'm just worried about the others," Callas admitted with a sigh.

     "They'll be fine, we do this all the time."

     "That doesn't sound any better," she told him. "I couldn't imagine having to do this every night."

"It's not every night."

"It's not?" She raised an eyebrow.

Embry shook his head. "No, I mean, I'm not on patrol right now, so for me, it's not every night." He grinned. "Besides, we usually have some sort of weekly schedule. It's just that Sam wanted to be extra cautious tonight. Usually, a few of us stay behind."

"What usually happens when you patrol?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Not much, as of late."

"You know you can't say stuff like that and not explain further, Em."

Embry looked at Zeus and blinked lazily while he shrugged in agreement, lifting his hands up slightly as he got ready to speak, "Remember when we told you about the Newborns?"

"Yeah? You guys laughed at me when I thought you were talking about babies, but you guys had seemed to forget that I didn't know that that was what you called newly turned vampires because I wasn't familiar with this... other life you guys live."

"Yeah... Sorry about that, but I thought it was kinda cute." Embry shrugged again.

"Moving on!" Callas could feel her cheeks warming up. "And stop shrugging!"

Embry grinned at her again, shrugging to simply annoy her. "When we had to deal with Newborns, our patrolling schedule was a bit hectic. Also, when Victoria—she's dead now—was after Bella." Embry glanced at Zeus before he looked back to Callas. "It's a long story. A lot happened when Bella moved to Forks, it set off a chain reaction. Which included me phasing for the first time, and Jacob."

"Are you happy that you phased? That you became a wolf?"

"Most days, yeah."

"And other days?"

"I just want to lay on the sofa eating crisps while watching reruns of shark week."

"I love shark week."

"We will watch it when it starts again."

"Okay..." Callas smiled at him, but her smile didn't quite reach her eyes as usual.

Embry raised an eyebrow. "Something else on your mind?"

"You never did answer my question before."

He sighed. "I told you I can't answer that, Cal."

"Would Sam?"

"Your arch-nemesis?" Embry chuckled, wanting to lighten the mood or find a way to change the conversation.

Callas paused. "Besides the point. Would he...? Answer me truthfully?"

"Why are you so desperate to know this?"

"Because I want to be ready. I don't want to not know my fate—"

"It's a hypothetical, it's not your fate, Callas," Embry argued quickly.

"I want to be ready for anything. Hypothetical or not. I'm a naturally curious person and if my life is to be, hypothetically, taken away from me—"

"I don't want to talk about this, Callas."

"We will have to at some point. We can't keep putting it off."

"I don't want the first moments of our relationship to be spent talking about killing you or the hypothetical prospect of you dying or becoming a vampire."

"'Our relationship'?" Callas raised an eyebrow.

Embry stared at her before he realised. "Crap, I knew there was something I forgot to ask you—"

"Relax, Em!" Callas laughed quietly. "I think it's safe to say we're in a relationship now... I think. I don't really know, I've never had a relationship before."

He breathed out a sigh of relief. "Okay, because I don't think I'd be very good at asking you out, I'd probably mess up." Callas shook her head with a laugh. "Is it wrong that I'm glad you've never had a relationship before?"

Callas shrugged. "I don't really know that either."