32| UNEXPECTED

By the time Callas had woken up—which wasn't that long since she had fallen asleep previously—there was a small amount of light filtering through her curtains, ones that she never bothered to open anymore since Jacob had sealed her window shut. She laid awake with her head on Embry's chest as he slept, his breathing caused her head to move up and down in a slow steady rhythm. Her eyes stared at her door, hoping that Reed would walk through, holding a cup of coffee, while in his pyjamas and abnormally messy hair, complaining about her alarm. But she knew he hadn't come home. The only thing that was seemingly keeping her from falling apart was the fact that Embry had stayed over the entire time, he hadn't left while she was sleeping—which she was grateful for.

"How long have you been awake for?" Embry asked tiredly. Callas didn't even realise that he had woken up.

"About an hour," she replied quietly.

"You could have woken me up."

She shook her head. "You were tired, I didn't want to wake you."

"I'd rather be awake and tired than asleep, if it meant that I was spending time with you, you should have woken me up."

"You needed to sleep." She moved her head slightly, breathing out a sigh.

"Why'd you think that?"

"Because of yesterday."

"Yesterday..."

"Last night. When you disappeared into the woods after my brother but only came back with Paul and a guilty look on your face," she spoke in a monotone way.

Embry sighed. "Cal—"

"Where did you go? Why did you go?"

"I can't tell you, believe me, I want to. So badly." He moved to sit up, making Callas slowly sit up as well.

"Why can't you?"

"I've told you why."

"Right. It's not your place to say," she concluded. He nodded his head. "You seem to use that line a lot."

He groaned quietly. "Callas, please."

"Just tell me if he's okay."

"I don't know." He gave her a sad look.

"Can't you tell me anything?"

"Not right now." He sighed. Callas nodded her head and closed her eyes. "I want to though, you have no idea how badly I want to talk to you."

"You are talking to me, Embry. Just tell me."

Embry sat forward, placing his hands on her cheeks, making her look at him. "You're making this harder than it needs to be."

"No, that's what you're doing," she argued, huffing to herself. Embry smiled lightly, pulling her body back down to lay on his. "I'm angry with you," she told him.

"No, you're not."

"Yes, I am."

"No, you're not." His arms prevented her from moving away. "It's too early to be up, can we just lay here for a little bit longer? Then you can hate me all you want."

"I don't hate you, Embry, I'm just..."

"Just what?"

Callas played with the strings on the jumper she was still wearing. "I'm just scared."