29| SACHEM

The time of the bonfire came quickly. Reed was almost bouncing up and down when Callas walked down the stairs from her room, wearing one of his oversized hoodies, the sleeves rolled up a couple of times, so she could actually see her hands. He was so giddy with excitement that it rolled off him like waves from the ocean, crashing into her, causing her stomach to tighten up into knots before exploding with butterflies. Zeus was sniffing around the door, just as eager to leave as Reed was. Earlier that day, Callas noted to herself that Henry hadn't turned up to school—she knew he needed time to heal, but she thought he was getting better, faster than what the doctors had claimed anyway. First period with Embry went by too quickly, she enjoyed the Chemistry lessons she had with him, even if the work was droning and mostly written work. Embry had always found a way to make it more interesting. By the time her third lesson rolled around, with Quil and Jared, Callas was ready to head home and take a small nap, like she always was.

     "C'mon, Cal, Silas moves faster than you and he doesn't move that much," Reed commented as he bounced on his feet again, clapping his hands together excitedly, making her smile at him with the shake of her head and she stepped closer.

     Silas, from the kitchen, barked a laugh, "I heard that."

     "Wasn't keeping it a secret, old man." Reed winked and grinned at Callas when Silas laughed again.

     "You know Gramps could kick your ass." Callas raised an eyebrow, he nodded his head with a shrug.

     "Yeah, I know."

     "Just stay safe tonight, okay?" Anya popped her head out of the kitchen, holding a spoon covered in batter. Callas turned around to face her, a smile made its way to her face as Silas popped his head out as well, his hands on Anya's shoulders.

     "We will." Reed nodded.

     "Don't leave her." She pointed the spoon at him and raised her eyebrows.

     "I'll handcuff our hands together if I need to,"—he told Anya before looking to Callas—"but we need to get going if we want to make it on time to actually hear the start of the legend." He pointed to the door.

     Callas raised her arms in defence, laughing quietly to herself as she waved goodbye to Anya and followed Reed and Zeus out of the front door. Reed jumped from the porch steps, wanting to get to his Jeep faster. Reed opened his side of the door, pulling his seat forward, letting Zeus jump into the back. Callas walked around to her side, settling in as she put her seatbelt on. It was almost completely dark out. Callas struggled to see, even with the headlights on, but Reed didn't seem to have a problem when he reversed and began driving down the road. She shoved her hands into the pocket of Reed's oversized hoodie, holding onto the cold metal of her phone, a shiver running down her spine. From the back, Zeus was happily panting loudly, switching his gaze from the front of the Jeep to the side window then to the back, watching as everything seemed to speed past. Callas felt her phone buzz, she pulled her phone out and squinted at the brightness as she opened the messages:

Embry:
Are you on your way?

Embry:
Jake is getting angsty and keeps bugging me asking where you are.

Embry:
He's breathing down my neck, it's unpleasant.

     She rolled her eyes at Embry's texts with a small smile before replying:

Callas:
Tell him to calm down, we should be there soon. As long as Reed doesn't get us lost in the dark.