9| INQUISITION

Just as Callas got out of the office and Henry said goodbye, she noticed Jacob still waiting for her. She walked down the stairs, not sure if she should bring up what the boys did. Technically, they didn't do anything wrong, but they were still rude. Maybe they were still annoyed about the spaghetti incident that Henry mentioned, although that would be a bit petty of them. It would be stupid to hold a grudge over someone because of spaghetti. Jacob looked up from his phone. Callas internally groaned, forgetting to get Henry's number. Jacob smiled at her, holding out the helmet.

     "Hey, Cal."

     "Hey, Jake." Callas fumbled with the helmet. Jacob chuckled, helping her put it on.

     "I heard the Coach is impressed with you."

     "Surprisingly so," Callas responded. "He also told me things that I didn't really need to know."

     "Hanson?"

     "Does everyone know?"

     "It was the first thing he told us."

     "Unbelievable." She rolled her eyes, getting on the motorbike behind Jacob.

     "I can take a look at the locks today, if you'd like?"

     "That would be great, thanks." Callas nodded as Jacob kicked off, being one of the last remaining vehicles in the parking lot before he drove off.

     Deciding if she should question Jacob back at the house lingered on her mind. On one hand, she could get a bigger picture as to why the boys didn't like Henry, maybe she would actually get the spaghetti story in full. But, on the other hand, she didn't count on it. She wasn't sure if that was why the whole group didn't like him or not—or if it was just, heavily, a Paul and Jared issue. Quil had been there, but he didn't say anything, maybe he didn't hate Henry like the other two, he just tagged along in case anything was to break out amongst them.

     In some way, Callas saw Quil as the neutral one of the group. He didn't seem as involved as the others seemed to be. Although the flashbacks of the P.E. lesson could disprove that fact entirely. Callas wasn't sure what to make of any of the boys yet. That included Henry, Jacob, and Embry. She just wanted to get a bigger or full picture of what she was dealing with, so she knew what topics to stay clear of and what she could try and worm out of them. Something told her to just leave it alone entirely as well, but how could she be friends with all of them if they weren't going to get along civilly? Hopefully, Jacob had some answers.

     With her arms tightly around his waist, hoping that he didn't drive the way he did that morning, she laid her head against his back. She felt comfortable with him at least, maybe it was something to do with those six years growing up together, or maybe it was because he didn't really seem to have an opinion about most things. He was warm, which Callas was glad about, especially as it was raining slightly and it was late autumn in La Push by the sea. Silas did say the sea brought the cold with it. She let out a sigh, watching the dark tinted trees blur passed the visor of the helmet.

     Strangely enough, Reed was also warm like Jacob. Maybe it was just boys of La Push type of thing. Henry was from Alaska, so it didn't apply to him. But Embry had been warm, really warm. She hoped none of the boys were ill. So, in a way, she really hoped it was just 'the boys of La Push' type of thing. A blush came to her face when she thought back to the day before when she walked into Embry. Well, body slammed into Embry. She couldn't quite figure out what she felt when she saw him, her mind couldn't get around it, it was a mystery to her. It was just a silly crush, nothing more, nothing less.

     Jacob turned down a road to the highway, they were close to the house. The journey wasn't that long from the high school, even in walking standards. Hopefully, the beach was the same, she did want to visit at some point. Maybe Henry would like to go with her, or even the boys. Just not together, apparently. It wasn't long before Jacob pulled down the road and headed towards Callas's grandparents' house, which was technically her house now as well. Which was still a weird thing for her to admit. One thing that puzzled her was that it didn't bring as many memories of her mother back to the surface compared to the thought of Utah and her father. Maybe it was because she didn't really know her that well.