40| DEADLY ENCOUNTER

The house was empty. The lights were off and Callas couldn't hear anything beside the pages of her worn book flipping over. Silas was still in the hospital and Anya wouldn't dare leave his side, no one questioned it—and no one dared to move a woman with her scorn. She was alone in the house. Reed was still M.I.A., although she knew she was going to see him tomorrow. Callas knew that he needed time, but a text would have been nice every once in a while, so she knew he was still alive. Her only communication to him was through the boys—and even they seemed to lack the ability to check or answer their phones. It sucked. But something moved downstairs. The hairs on her arms stood up as she closed her book, slotting a bookmark between the pages as she placed it on her side table. She picked up her phone, sliding it into the jumper pocket she had dressed into with her pyjama's, just in case. Her heart raced as she slowly slid off the bed, immediately regretting every textbook 'horror movie victim move' she was about to make once she opened the bedroom door. She sucked in a deep breath as her hand touched the cold handle, slowly turning it before it opened.

     She blew out a sigh before she stepped out. There were no following sounds from the first one. Hesitantly, Callas crept down the stairs, her hand was holding onto the railing as her feet planted themselves onto the next step, then the next, and then the next. When she reached the bottom, she tried to listen out for any other sound or any movement, aside from her own. The kitchen light was on. Her eyebrows furrowed as she picked up Reed's old metal baseball bat laying on the floor near the draws against the wall. Callas gripped onto the metal bat tightly as she lifted it up, making her way into the kitchen. When she noticed nothing seemed out of the ordinary, she let out a sigh, shaking her head with a light laugh, she was just being paranoid. She placed the metal bat down on the dining table and walked over to the sink to get herself a glass of water, to try and help her nerves. Callas looked out of the window and dropped the cup into the sink, the glass shattered.

     There was a reflection of the Wight standing behind her in the window. A smile grew on its face, it lifted its hand and waved to her. Callas spun around and gripped the edge of the counter. The Wight was leaning against the wall, his arms now crossed over his chest. Callas's hand slowly reached for her phone in her pocket. The Wight didn't seem to notice her sleight of hand and she tried to open the messages, occasionally glancing down to see what she was typing. The Wight cleared his throat, she looked up with a sharp intake of air, pressing send accidentally to whoever's contact she clicked on, a half-coherent sentence was sent. The Wight forced a smile and sighed, pushing himself off the wall, pointing to the metal bat on the table. He chuckled to himself and Callas could feel her blood pumping faster and faster.

     "Was that necessary?" He asked, glancing back to Callas, raising his eyebrow.

     "Maybe."

     He watched Callas shrug, not knowing how to answer him. He cleared his throat. "Well, it's not going to do you much good sitting way over here, is it?" He lifted it up and threw it out the doorway and into the living room, Callas heard the heavy thud as it landed.

     "Who are you?" Callas's voice shook with nerves.

     The Wight tutted at her. "That's the wrong question, Callas."

     "What?"

     "You shouldn't be this clueless. For crying out loud, I put the most obvious hints on your computer screen. Hell, I even told you. Is this still not getting through your head?"

     "Get out."

     "We both know that isn't going to happen. Not until you do what you're meant to."