TWENTY.

❛ i don't wanna be just a memory. ❜
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

       HE EMITS A soft inward sigh, begrudgingly shifting his body and pivoting so that he was facing Ronnie. A doleful expression quickly engraves upon his face as he leers at the unconscious body that laid next to him bedded peacefully under the plush sheets of his bed.

He was supposed to be sleep, but he incidentally found himself being trounced by his insomnia for the third night in a row. River assumed that his inconvenience of sleep deprivation would be cured now that Ronnie was back in his presence, but as he laid awake shifting intolerably he could see that he was gravely mistaken.

River wanted to rouse Ronnie from her slumber in hopes of selfishly nabbing a few more hours alone with her before she departs for her flight in the morning, but decided against it as he knew that she needed her rest.

"Babe, are you okay?" A sleepy Ronnie mutters inquisitively with her heavy eyes still closed shut.

He flushes his chest against her backside, draping an arm around her waist and pampered a chaste kiss at the back of her nape. "Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry I woke you. Go back to sleep." River's husky voice whispers. He flutters his heavy eyes close in attempt of seeking sleep that his arduous body so forlornly desired.

A stilled silence ascended throughout the room. He'd assumed she had fallen back to sleep until the faint sounds of her evened breaths whistled in the air. River feels her soft fingers intertwining within his, the patterned movement of her thumb caresses against the calloused skin on his knuckles.

"Tomorrow's the big day." Ronnie sighs contently after feeling River's grasp around her waist slightly tighten. "Carmen's gonna come by in the morning, she cried tonight at dinner when I told her that I was leaving. I talked to my mom and she said that her and dad wanna say bye before they take their annual trip to the Bahamas." She informed, chuckling softly as a chiding grimace tugs at her lips.

Ronnie still endured slight animosity at her father for his insolent comments that were directed at River, but her mother being the peacemaker that she is insisted that Ronnie allowed them to stop by before she sends off.

Ronnie continued to ramble about her farewell dinner that Carmen threw for her. They've inadvertently distanced themselves after she started dating River. She felt awful because it was never her intention to seclude herself away from her friends. There were a lot of tears shed that night; mostly from the melancholy nostalgia of the years of their friendship that developed after they met during their freshman year in high school.

As her mind absentmindedly began to wander about all the recollected memories she's shared with her loved ones—it circled back around to the person she was going to miss the most. River. The adoring boy that was currently laid behind her with his arms enveloped around her body. Albeit she promised herself that she would not cry (she did enough of that in private, mostly in the shower where the sounds of the running water drowned out the loud croaks of her wails) the back of her throat suddenly began to burn.

She didn't want River to see her cry, she knew that he was still struggling himself trying to fathom the thought of being so far away. They refrained from talking about her departure for the past week, as they wanted to spend her last few days in merriment rather than in despair.