- 27 | D O N' T L E A V E M E

We were to leave at dawn.

I walked back to my chambers but not before pulling Éowyn to the side. She started protesting but I raised my hand and she stopped.

"I know you're going to fight."

Her eyes widened. "How do you know?"

I grinned. "Because, my friend, I trained you, I have spent almost every minute of the past four days with you and I have noticed you are very determined."

She looked down and I smiled. "Just stay close to me, okay? And remember what I have taught you."

She nodded and I let her go to pack her things.

I sighed and turned to the beacons.

Don't worry, I thought, we're coming.

The next morning, I woke up early and packed my things. I walked towards Thorin and saddled him. When I guided him outside, I saw Théoden giving commands with Éomer on his side.

"Assemble the army at Dunharrow - as many men as can be found. You have two days... on the third, we ride to Gondor! And war!"

I mounted my horse and smiled at Aragorn who rode up beside me.

"Nervous?" He asked.

"A little," I admitted.

I saw Éowyn walking towards the stables, pulling on her riding gloves.

"You ride with us?" Aragorn asked surprised.

"Just to the encampment," Éowyn assured him, glancing at me. "It's tradition for the women of court to farewell the men."

Aragorn smiled and reached past her, lifting a cover to reveal a sword, strapped to the saddle of the horse.

"Busted," I muttered loud enough so Éowyn could hear.

She deftly pulled the cover back down and Aragorn raised his eyebrow.

"The men have found their captain — they will follow you into battle, even death," Éowyn said softly. "You have given us hope."

I pulled Aragorn back so that Éowyn could mount her horse. He looked at me with a surprised look.

"You knew?"

"Of course I knew," I replied. "I taught her."

Aragorn shook his head and smiled.

"Now is the hour!" Éomer shouted. "Riders of Rohan — oaths you have taken. Now, fulfill them all — to Lord and land!"

Aragorn and I pushed our horses towards the front where Legolas was. I saw Merry standing on the ground, asking around if he could ride with someone.

I stood still beside him. "I heard you have need of a rider."

He looked up and nodded. I held out my hand and pulled him behind me.

"Hold on."

His arms slung around my waist and I rode over to Legolas who sat with Gimli.

I gave them both a smile and we followed Théoden out of the city.

I looked back at the city and wondered if it was the last time I would see it.

We arrived at Dunharrow a couple of hours later.

"Grimbold, how many?" Théoden asked the man.