- 25 | F A R W E L L A G A I N

Legolas leaded me to my room and kissed my cheek.

"Goodnight, Gwen."

I smiled and blushed. "Goodnight Legolas."

He smiled and walked away. I closed the door and sighed happily. I took my dress off and put on some pants and shirt.

I laid down on my bed and fell asleep, peacefully.

My sleep was interrupted by a scream and before I had really woken up, I already stood with an unsheathed sword in the hall where the scream came from. I saw that Pippin had taken the palantir and before I could do something, Aragorn beat me to it. He ran forward and took the palantir from Pippin, who fell on the floor. I kicked the palantir from Aragorn's hands and Gandalf, who had woken up from all the noise, threw a blanket over it. I kneeled down next to Aragorn when Gandalf strode over to Pippin.

"Are you alright?" I asked him quietly, not wanting to get too much attention.

He just nodded and went with his hand over his face. "Yeah, I'm alright."

"Fool of a Took!" Gandalf exclaimed angrily, although I could see that was mainly because he was worried about the little halfling.

Pippin was trembling and Gandalf calmed him.

"Gandalf!" Pippin began, "forgive me!"

"Look at me! What did you see?"

"A tree...," Pippin replied, "there was a white tree... in a courtyard of stone... it was dead! The city was burning..."

"Minas Tirith?" Gandalf insisted. "Is that what you saw?"

"I saw him..." Pippin replied, "I saw him... I could hear his voice in my head."

"And what did you tell him? Speak!" Gandalf demanded.

"He asked me my name. I didn't answer... he hurt me..."

"What did you tell him about Frodo and the Ring?" Gandalf asked, trying not to panic.

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes," Gandalf stated, "a fool, but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring."

Gimli and I let out a sign of relief.

"We have been strangely fortunate," Gandalf continued looking at Théoden, "What Pippin saw in the palantir was a glimpse of our enemy's plan."

I held my breath, thinking of Gondor. I may have never seen the white city, but I was still their crown princess and they were my people.

"Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing."

Gandalf looked at Aragorn.

"The heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still - strength enough left to challenge him."

I saw Théoden listen intently but he said nothing.

"Sauron fears this. He will not risk the people of Middle Earth uniting under one banner. He will raise Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees the return of the King."

Gandalf moved back to Théoden.

"If the beacons of Gondor are lit, Rohan must be ready for war!"

Théoden hold Gandalf's gaze for a moment.

"Tell me," He began, "Why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours?"

Both Aragorn and I looked at Théoden.

"What do we owe Gondor?" He continued.

"I will go," Aragorn stepped up.

"So will I," I said following his lead. "We cannot abandon our people."

"No!" Gandalf said hurried.

"They must be warned!" Aragorn protested.

"They will be," Gandalf replied, speaking lowly. "You must come to Minas Tirith by another road. Follow the river, look to the black ships." He stopped and spoke louder. "Understand this... things are now in motion that cannot be undone."

Gandalf turned on his heel and stared at a surprised Pippin.

"I ride for Minas Tirith! And I won't be going alone!"

Gandalf hurried along the streets, Merry, Pippin and I were tunning alongside trying to keep up.

Damn that old man could walk fast.

"Of all the inquisitive Hobbits, Peregrin Took," Gandalf muttered. "You are the worst. Hurry. Hurry!"

"Where are we going?" Pippin asked worried.

"Why did you look - why did you always have to look?" Merry replied irritated.

"I don't know... I can't help it," Pippin said sadly.

Merry turned away while replying.

"You never can."

"I'm sorry alright? I won't do it again."

An heated up Merry turned back to Pippin.

"Don't you understand... the enemy thinks you have the Ring... he's going to be looking for you, Pip. They have to get you out of here!"

"And you. You're coming with me... Merry?" Pippin asked insecure.

I couldn't look into his eyes and neither could Merry.

"Come on," was all he said.

I put Pippin on the back of Shadowfax as Gandalf hurriedly prepared to leave.

"How far is Minas Tirith?" Pippin asked nervously.

"Three days ride as the Nazgul flies and you'd better hope we don't have one of them on our tail," Gandalf replied.

I gave Pippin an encouraging smiled. "It'll be alright, Pip."

He smiled weakly at me and I stepped back to give Merry some space to say goodbye.

"Here," Merry began, handing over a leather bound bundle of pipe-weed. "Something for the road."

Pippin states down at it.

"The last of the Longbottom Leaf."

"I know you've run out... you smoke too much, Pip."

"But we'll see each other soon?

Both Merry and I exchanged a worried glance with Gandalf.

"Won't we?" Pippin insisted, noticing the glance.

"I don't know," Merry confessed. "I don't know what is going to happen."

Gandalf mounted Shadowfax and Pippin started to panic.

"Merry?"

Gandalf urged the great horse forward.

"Run Shadowfax, show us the meaning of haste."

"Merry!" Pippin screamed one last time before Shadowfax left the stables.

Merry ran towards the watchtower and I followed him.

He stopped on the top and looked at a leaving Pippin with a devastated look. "He is my best friend," he whispered.  I laid my hand on his shoulder and gave him an encouraging squeeze. "I know."

He looked up at me. "We have never been separated before." I looked down at him. "I know."

He looked back at the plains. "Do you think he'll survive on his own?"

I smiled at my little friend. "He isn't alone, Gandalf is with him. Nothing bad will happen to him."

He smiled back. "Thanks Gwen."

I nodded and looked back at Gandalf and Pippin who were now a little dot in the distance.

I hope I was right.