finding something to do

I could see our fingers all intertwined
All your wrinkles perfectly suiting mine
Oh, somewhere down the line

Oliver never expected to grow old with someone. That was until he met Tyler during his senior year of high school. Oliver felt a love he had never experienced. It was pure, it was passionate, it was everlasting. He couldn't picture his future without the other.

One night, they were laying on Oliver's bed shoulder-to-shoulder, just enjoying each other's company. The older boy turned on his side to meet Tyler's eyes and ghosted his fingers over his pink-tinted cheek. "You know I wanna marry you one day, right?"

Tyler sighed and gazed at his boyfriend fondly. "I would love to be married, but it's impossible."

"One day. I promise. One day they'll legalize it and we'll rush down to the courthouse and be officially married," Oliver whispered, lacing their fingers together.

The freshman boy liked the sound of that. No planning an over-the-top wedding for months. No putting on a show for others. That wasn't them. If they were going to get married, it would only be for themselves. They were much too young to be planning out their future, but they wanted to spend their lives together.

Probably we'd run out of things to do
Holding onto what's left of our fleeting youth
But what else can you do?

A couple years later, Tyler graduated high school. It was challenging, as he worked tirelessly to make sure he received his diploma. As proud as he was, he couldn't help but feel slightly disappointed that his boyfriend could not be there to witness the ceremony.

Oliver was attending NYU and Tyler missed him like hell. They would spend hours on the phone together, talking about nothing that really mattered, sometimes just listening to each other's breathing patterns. It was the closest they could be in the given situation.

Tyler shook the thoughts about the past out of his head as his graduating class threw their blue caps in the air. He needed to focus on his future. He planned to move to New York to live with his lover. He wanted to focus on something he was good at, which was computers. He wasn't sure he would get work right away, and he didn't have enough money for college, but they would figure something out. They always did.

Driving home tonight
I didn't see the lights
I was just watching you sleep in shotgun
I could have crashed the car

Soon enough, the two boys were reunited. Living in a small apartment with some loud ass roommates, but they were happy because they were together. Tyler became a repair technician, and Oliver began to get roles in Broadway plays. Their dream was becoming a reality.

I could tell our summer was just in bloom
Opened up the windows in the bedroom
When you woke me up at noon

Oliver especially enjoyed their life in New York. The busyness and chaos excited him. Tyler's favorite days were the ones when his boyfriend would show up at their apartment with a huge grin and a sparkle in his eye, rambling about his amazing day where something awesome happened, or he landed a role he had worked hard for.

I was waiting for summer to turn to fall
Sick and tired of everything moving at a crawl
If it moved at all

Things began getting into a routine. They were like a married couple, except without the marriage. No matter how hard Tyler wanted to call Oliver his husband, he wouldn't let a piece of paper define their relationship. He finally felt happy, comfortable, safe.

Driving home tonight
I didn't see the lights
I was just watching you sleep in shotgun
I could have crashed the car

Oliver pulled at his hair, groaning. He didn't get the acting part he wanted, and the bills were piling high. He was stressing out late at night in the kitchen. He didn't want Tyler to worry about anything. The younger boy has dealt with money problems and living issues his entire life, he didn't deserve it.

That's when he heard light footsteps and he looked up to see his boyfriend wearing Oliver's long sleeve tee shirt, the cuffs going past his hands like mittens and the collar nearly hanging off his shoulder, boxers, and a soft throw blanket wrapped around him. "Oliver. What are you doing?" he croaked while rubbing his eyes.

"Couldn't sleep. I'm, uh, getting water."

Tyler didn't notice his hesitation, due to being half asleep, so he hummed in response. "Come back to bed. It's too cold without you."

As long as there's something to see
I'll see it with you
As long as the days can seem
We'll find something to do
And if ever your love should leave
Just swear you'll follow through
And I swear I'll always follow you

It was a rare day when they both had a break from work. They spent the entire morning lazy in bed. "I'm hungry," Oliver whined quietly.

"Fine, then. Go get food," Tyler mumbled into his neck.

"Babe, how do you expect me to go get food when you're on top of me?"

Eventually, they got bored of laying around and went out into the city. They walked around until they found somewhere they've never been. An art gallery, a museum, a bookstore, or a coffee shop. It didn't matter.

"I don't get it," Tyler whispered, not wanting to be rude. The two boys stared a large canvas displaying contemporary and minimal art.

"I don't think you're supposed to get it. Maybe that's the point," Oliver paused thoughtfully. "Who knows? I'm not exactly an art critic." It didn't matter if they didn't understand the painting, or if they didn't particularly enjoy a restaurant. They liked finding things to do together. 

You have spent your better years bored with me
Sad about waiting for eventually which I can't wait to see

One day, gay marriage was legalized. The couple wasn't much older, and their love was still as strong as the day they had first discussed their future. They took a bus straight to Massachusetts and did exactly what they said they would. No expensive ceremony or cheesy invites, just them, some handwritten vows, and a bouquet of flowers from a nearby grocery store.

"Life comes in moments. Seconds upon seconds of time. The moments spent with you are the ones-." Tyler tried his best, but he wasn't great at speaking from the heart. Everything he was saying seemed sappy and fake. He sighed and looked up at his future husband, who gave him an encouraging smile. He quickly decided to scrap his planned speech and say what he felt right then. "Oliver, I love you. You know that. I've told you hundreds of times. I never want to stop reminding you. I love everything about you, how passionate you are, how you light up every room, how you seem to know a lot about everything but you never make me feel stupid, how careful you are, how we do random shit together, how much you love your friends, your family, how much you love me."

"Tyler, I love you too." He smiled at the younger boy, who bit his lip impatiently. "Until the day I die, I will spend my days with you. We'll find something to do together. Always..."

As long as there's something to see
I'll see it with you
As long as the days can seem
We'll find something to do
And if ever your love should leave
Just swear you'll follow through
And I swear I'll always follow you