FAQ

Does a place like Lake County actually exist in Lagos, Nigeria?

No, it doesn't. Its every bit as fictional as Wakanda in the Marvel comic franchise.

What inspired you to write Lake County?

I've seen a lot of people make bad choices concerning friendship and companionship—prioritizing certain things above it. I belong to such category, so in a way this book is me scolding myself and reminding my subconscious that life is worthless without love.

Are you a foreigner who has interest in African literature?

Nope. I'm a Nigerian. Born and raised in Lagos. I hail from Ekiti state and I have difficulty navigating the advanced version of Yoruba spoken there. Lol.

What does the T and J initials in your pen name stand for?

The beauty about pen names is that they don't have to represent anything. So, you should look at T.J. as a name on its own because really in all honesty, their not stand in for my names.

Is any character in the novel a rip off of yourself?

Not at all. Although they all have pieces of my soul lodged into them(and I might have been in similar circumstances with a few) but I can't name one character in the book that's basically me.

Is it true you like to punish your Reeders by hoarding chapters?

Its true that I don't upload every chapter as I write them, I mean I completed this book since May but I have a policy I adhere to strictly. Which is an update every week. I like to view my book in the sense that its a TV show. TV shows don't premiere two episodes in a week do they? Despite the fact they have all episodes intact in their database.

When does your next book arrive?

Read the author's note for more info on that.

How serious do you take writing?

It means the world to me. I'm faulted for loving it more than anything. (Except Music, it's a constant battle with that. Haha!) I have big dreams that I'd rather not go into details about. But the fact that I told you its technically the most important thing in my life should give you the sense of what I intend to achieve with it.

Advice to upcoming, budding writers?

Work hard. Writing is art, and you get better with practice, with time. You have to keep on putting in the work and make sure you're getting better. I tell my colleagues, if writing doesn't become more difficult for you upon the passing of every day then you're not really working. Work hard, read a lot of quality books and find your voice which is that element in your work that makes yours distinct and different and then harness it. I believe that's the formulae for success. Thank you