12. Playlist

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” – Oscar Wilde.

•••

“They’re waiting for you outside, like a bunch of goons awaiting outstanding payment from an overlord.”

He sighed, as he pushed the humongous twin-doors open and stepped down from the threshold with Legide. As planned, it was Tuesday, the 22nd November – Lake County’s anniversary day. Twenty years ago, the community as a whole was launched before it grew into the reputable residential landmark that it was known for in present day. It was mandatory for all organizations, irrespective of whatever sector that prevailed over it, to celebrate the holiday by declaring a public holiday for all its residents.

It was duly observed by every citizen, as they all remained in their respective homes to indulge themselves in frivolous activities and take a break from the cut-throat, harrowing day-to-day life that was demanded by the upscale, high-maintenance life they all had to contend with. And the status quo was supposed to extend to him also, but instead he was out here – in school, about to embark on a mission he hadn’t dreamed he’d undertake so early.

Might as well get over it.

To be candid, he hadn’t in anyway anticipated Legide’s action. He wondered why she took that step, without informing him first. Did she know that he’d oppose it, and tell them to postpone it to a later date that wouldn’t interfere with his much needed break? Nah, that sounded ludicrous. He was the one who made the proposition in the first place, she had only taken the step she thought was best. Perhaps, she also hadn’t expected for the time-frame of the undertaking to be brought forward. That was probably it. What other reason could she have?

“I hope they’re not holding weapons or something,” He replied, as they strode out further into the compound. In the far distance, he could see their figures lined horizontally in indeed a uniform manner that caused the flaring and streaking of cold chills, down his spine. He might be a prefect, and the most powerful individual in the room—not exactly in the room, since they were outside in the school’s compound, but that fact didn’t deter them from acting unruly and defying orders. He had a contingency plan for that, though and he was sure it would work. 

“There are many S.S.S.1. Students there, so yeah headache.” Legide swallowed. In the nation as a whole, there was always a bitter spat existing between a class, and the one directly beneath it, in their case the S.S.S. 1 folk. Dealing with them was even a more fazing task, compared to their own mates since the latter would comply due to the friendship existing between them all. “Although I don’t know if I should call it headache, since anytime I see them my stomach starts turning.”

A smirk appeared on his lips. “Oshey, as in butterflies fluttering levels?”

She rolled her eyes. “I still don’t get how butterflies fluttering in someone’s stomach, is supposed to be a nervous feeling. I get irritated, when things fly around me not to talk of inside me. Anyways, I mean my stomach turn in a nauseous way not in a pleasant way. Like in a way it would if you’re about to throw up.”

“Oh, really. Then it appears it wouldn’t be only thrash that we’d be getting rid of today.”

“You’re not serious.” She replied, just as they both ground to a halt on the dispersed crowd of people before them. Before advancing forward to address them, he turned to face her.

“Look, I’m nervous already. I don’t need you to be nervous also. Or, at least just pretend to be strong, okay?”

“Whatever happened to empathy.” Came her reply, as he finally faced his audience. A sea of dour-faced looking teenagers of boys and girls, the former being in a greater number. They all straightened up, and diverted their focus to him as they sensed an address pending.