the elder of the two crouched down, ruffling jihoon's hair. it earned him a little glare, though, which was much unlike the happy giggle he usually got out of yoongi. "alright, sorry," he apologised, holding his hands up in defence.

jihoon continued playing with his lego. no fucks given.

"he'll sleep in your room, jungkook-ah," their eldest said, nodding to their youngest, who looked appalled at the idea of sharing a room. seokjin furrowed his brows. "hey, be nice. he's a good kid. it's not the end of the world. don't look so disgusted."

but that's not why jungkook was disgusted. he couldn't care less about how good a kid jihoon was.

he was going to be in his room.. at.. at night..

jungkook had gotten into the habit, over the last little while, of allowing himself to slip as soon as everyone else was definitely in their rooms. ever since he'd stolen that pacifier from yoongi - he's very sorry for that, but.. - he's found it hard to sleep without it. during the day naps are almost impossible unless he's at least sucking his thumb, but he can't be caught doing that.

when night time rolled around, he was free to do as he pleased. he could sit on his bed, staring at his laptop screen as it played cartoons, cuddling his bunny and sucking on a pacifier. it was his only release, and he loved it. he was so grateful for it.

things had been stressful lately with the upcoming album and stuff, and jungkook found himself needing those late night regressions more than anything. if he didn't have them then, he often tended to accidentally slip into his headspace throughout the next day instead.

he really couldn't afford that.

by then, seokjin had retreated to the kitchen, taehyung to his room, leaving jungkook alone in the living room with jihoon at his feet. the maknae stared down at the little, feeling his stomach twist with the most unsettling kind of sickness, before he too turned on his heel and went to lock himself in the bathroom for a while.

after all, the best place to cry was in the shower.

— — —

dinner time was unusually quiet too.

what was wrong with this kid?

jihoon ate like any normal adult, albeit he was a bit sloppy with a pair of chopsticks. the problem was solved as soon as seokjin handed him a spoon. it was like there was no little there at all. how strange..

jungkook didn't show up to dinner. he wasn't hungry, at least that's what he'd told namjoon when the leader had come looking for him. nobody thought much of it. perhaps he'd eaten when he and taehyung were out.

"jihoon-ah, would you like some apple juice?" seokjin asked, pointing to the jug of juice that sat in the middle of the table alongside an extra bowl of fried rice and another smaller jug filled with curry sauce. the little looked up from where he was munching happily on a strip of salted chilli chicken, and nodded his head. "yes, please."

seokjin could probably count on one hand how many words this kid had said all day.

still, he didn't comment. he got up from where he was sitting, going to the cupboard where they kept all of yoongi's cups. he didn't think jihoon would be too appreciative of the bottle that yoongi was usually given, and a lot of his sippy cups were quite babyish.. he searched for some time, settling eventually on an orange cup that had a lid and a plastic straw poking out of the top. something more suited to jihoon's little age, he thought, and he was right.

the little thanked him, sipping happily at his apple juice once it was handed to him. he got back to eating once he was about a third of the way in, and weirdly enough.. none of it ended up on his lap?